Will this light work for a reef / coral tank?

BriOnH

Reefing newb
Hi,
I was told this light:
http://www.current-usa.com/satellite.html ( I have the Dual) is good to use for reef/croal tanks, but everything lately I have been reading says that metal halide should be used. While I have had a great succes with saltwater tanks the past 4 years, I have been slowly converting my tank to a reef/coral tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this.

I have a 46g bow front tank the fish do great, but the coral I have been getting hasn't been doing so well with this lighting system, but I am not sure if it is the lighting system or the times I have the lights go on.
-Brian

I would guess its not enough, your only running 96 watt on a 46 tank, thats less than 3 watts per gal, however, you can probably keep mushrooms but I dont know about anything else.

bobby said:
I would guess its not enough, your only running 96 watt on a 46 tank, thats less than 3 watts per gal, however, you can probably keep mushrooms but I dont know about anything else.

Man that's a real drag. I do have mushrooms in my tank and it seems to be the only thing thriving. Looks like I might have to return the light. I really like the light too.

Looking at the stats though it says that total watts is 192, does that make a difference?

The guy at the store, and its a very good store, and the staff is pretty knowledgable said that it should work for most of the coral they sell. He said things like clams it wouldn't be enough power for.

JellyMan said:
whats the stats on the lights, when was the last time the bulbs were changed, do you have it raised or not?

I just got the light 2 weeks ago. The light sits directly on my tank, its not raised. Here are the stats:

Current Dual Satellite
Model:1015
Length: 36"
Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k: 1x96 watt
Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm: 1x96 watt
Lunar Light Moon White: 1
Independent Controls: Yes
Fan: Yes
Product Dimensions: 36.75" x 7.25" x 2.5"
Total Watts: 192
Total Amps: 1.46
Config.: D
Shipping Weight: 12 lbs.

Getting the lighting right is very hard! Sure is easier with a fish only tank, but I think my fish are happier with this blue spectrum that I was missing before deciding to convert to reef.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it and look forward to being a contributing member of this forum.

JellyMan said:
46 gallon your running almost 5 wpg yeah thats good for softies what type of corals are they??

Oh man that is good news!! I am not sure - thas is quite emberassing. I'll take some pictures and look on line as well to identify them. I know fish really well, but live rocks, and these other beautiful photosynthetic life I am just learning about now.

I know one is called like a "Brain" something - beautiful black with purple lines through it. And on Saturday I got some rock that has a beautiful grass growing on it. At least the grass was there when I got it. When I went to put it in my tank it was just a big purple rock with a bunch of bumps on it. This morning though a few of those purple bumps were beggining to open up and show a gold like opening.

Should I have both the Antic light and the Day light running at the same time for most of the day? I think that could be my problem and adjusted it this morning before I came to work.

yes both lights and the purple with gold tips sounds like star polyp cant tell without pics though yeah you have enough light run both of them youll be fine anywhere between 9-12 hrs a day is sufficient i run mine for 9 but its by a window so it gets natural from 7-10 my lights kick on at ten and go off at 7

JellyMan said:
yes both lights and the purple with gold tips sounds like star polyp cant tell without pics though yeah you have enough light run both of them youll be fine anywhere between 9-12 hrs a day is sufficient i run mine for 9 but its by a window so it gets natural from 7-10 my lights kick on at ten and go off at 7

Jellyman I hope it's ok I keep thanking you. I have never seen these thank's buttons on a VB board, pretty neat, but not sure of the etiquette of them.

How does this sound for a setup of light:
8-9am - Just the antics. fan turns on
9am-6pm - Both day antic and daylight
6pm-7pm - just antic

7pm-11pm - moon light and fan cuts off
11pm-8am - no light

Is there a point that I should ever just run the day light without the antic?

That's awesome your tank is by a window I imagine that helps a lot. Is there a picture of your tank on here? Thank you again for your help.

no problem, no my tank is not posted yet we went to a frag swap sat so Im waiting for all my corals to calm down then I will post pics. Dont worry about the thank yous thats what there there for. Yes the window does help out alot but it can get hectic during the summer. And no there is never a time of day to just run the day without the actinics, as for your hour before and hour after that is perfect that creates a dawn and dusk mode. It wouldnt hurt to run the moon lights all night it would help more than anything I should have pics of y tank up within the next 3 days.

Sorry I thought it only had 96watt yes 192 is alot better you should be able to keep softy and some sps. However you might have to move them closer to the top of the tank.

If your corals are not doing well, it might be something other than the lighting. Are all of your water parameters okay? How about the amount of current you have? Feeding?

I basically agree with Jellyman. My thoughts on the photo period or I should say light ramp up order and ramp down order is as follows:

1-atinics come on moon light is already on.
2-30 min later moon light goes off and rest of lights go on
3-all lights except moon light on for photo period
4-white lights off and moon light on
5-30 min. later atinics off moon light stays on until #2 above.

Remember the ocean is never really totally dark. That is why you have heard about leaving a night light on in the room where the aquarium is at in an obcure location so the room does not go completely dark. with a moon light you do not need a night light in the room. Keep us posted.

Back