Wire Cutters, Reef Safe?

ggNoRe

Reefing newb
I need to cut off a tip on my SPS that is dead and the best tool I have for the job are my wire cutters. Was wondering if they are reef safe..

Thanks in advance!

They are fine, make sure they don't have any grease or anythign on them. You don't want to leave them in the tank. Don't forget what granular ferrous oxide is made of...RUST!

I would actually get a pair of sidecutters or dykes to keep just for fragging, something with a thin, non-crushing profile works best.

+1 RyanG. and be careful if you're purchasing new ones. Some cutters come with an "oil" type coating to keep them moving freely...It wipes off pretty easy, so I'm sure it could release into your water.

Doesn't your LFS sell coral snippers? They cost about the same as a good pair of dikes.

Well the surgery went well with the wire cutters. But thanks on the tip on the sidecutters as well, will definitely make pruning in the future easier.

I've seen an oily film on tools and on PVC pipe before. If I put PVC pipe in a tank I always run it thru the dishwasher first but with no soap.

Back