Wire rats nest???

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
How do you folks deal with the rats nest that seems to be part of this hobby? I've got so much wire in my stand its becoming a nightmare!

Skimmer
Return pump
Reactor pump
heater x2
sump power head
sump lighting x2
DT lighting x4 (2 units, each with 2 plugs)
Power heads x3
Night light LED
ATO power
ATO sensors x2
ATO pump
ATO power
Thermometer x2

Thats 23 wires with 18 of them being 120v.

PLUS there are the three cords for power centers that all of this plugs into!

So how do YOU deal with them? (pictures would be nice)

Mix in the 5 water lines and is just a mess in my stand!

I save the twist ties from the box (or bread bags, bailing wire will work, but probably corrode pretty quick) and run the cord. Then I wind up all the excess (leave some slack) and tie them like that. Then you can put multiple cords together and label them with those keychain labels if you want.

IMAG0177.jpg

Well I have to revisit this subject. We had one heck of a storm here two days ago. Lots of trees down and power was out for 14 hours. Aerating the tank was no problem. Keeping heat in the tank was! I'm not going to argue preparedness here. Next time I will be. Luckily it appears I was successful.

The rats nest of wire did pose some issues though. Since I have a sump, I was removing water from it, warming it and dumping it back into the display. All those wires not only got in the way, but doing it in minimal lighting causes a few small spills. I was worried that when the power came back, I would have gotten something important wet. Fortunately I didn't. I WILL BE doing something with all of these wires though!

What do you folks use to lable the wires? Just tape and markers or is there something better out there?

I labeled all my wires with a label maker that I got from work but, a marker and tape will work.

Back