Wish list

LSD reefer

Reefing newb
Ok what would you buy as far as power heads, skimmer, and a light for a 90 gal if you could buy anything? Also same question if on a budget?

power heads I have always liked koralia.. skimmer I like reef octopus and light for I would probably go with - 48" Black Solar T5 HO - 8 x 54 watt + ML jim is great to deal with and his products haven't gone bad on me yet.. wouldnt really cheap out if on a budget I would wait and put it together as I could.. learned that the hard way a couple times..

No budget, I'd get two vortech mp40 powerheads, AI LEDs for lighting, and a Deltec self cleaning skimmer.

On a budget, I'd go with koralia powerheads, nova extreme pro T5 fixture, and reef octopus skimmer.

I would not go for the mp40, just personally, everything I have heard is bad, the wet end has plastic rings and a ceramic ring and the rings wear out inside due to how they are powered. The other part is that they are really noisy. I would be looking at tunze pumps instead, quieter, more reliable and better quality.

This is what im doing for my tank, tunze pumps, deltec skimmer and a vertext lighting system.

This is all meant to be the best stuff for our tanks.

Tunze pumps scored horribly recently on flow output... Who posted that link.... At any rate they said they would correct the problem but its still terrible that a high $$$ company would even put out a "quality" product without testing.

That throws an interesting wedge in my ideas. So, everyone tells me that the vortechs are horrible pumps in the long run, unless someone here has one running and can tell me otherwise, and the tunze pumps give much less flow although do not break down readily in comparison.

I haven't heard any stories of them breaking down yet. Dennis has been using his three mp40s for over a year and hasn't posted about any trouble with them.

The only bad things I've heard about them is that they're loud. But, that's only when theyre run above 75% or so which most people never do.

See, I have a personal local friend who had mp40's and said he had to fix the wet end 4 times since he had it, so it puts me off them and I had my heart set on it. And I am now put off of the tunze pumps as well, so where to go?

Back