Wishful thinking? Maybe they'll mate soon?

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Ok...maybe it's just wishful thinking :) But maybe my clowns are preparing their nest! They've been fanning their bodies all around one side of the tank. Not nipping, though, but definitely fanning the same area.

What do you guys think? At least they're now getting along :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=enBhzKLuAAU

My maroon does that too but he's alone. He fans all the sand out of his little cave. I always thought he was trying to clear a spot to attract an anemone.

No. I don't see any pre-spawning rituals. Just looks like a pair of clowns swimming around. If they pair up, you will, or should if you watch them alot, see one of them establish dominance. They will fight. Once paired up, they will pick 1 spot on a rock about 2"-3" square and vigorously clean it with their mouths. Much like fw cichlids clean the area they spawn on.

spawn6b_9-25-07.jpg

spawn2_9-25-07.jpg

spawn4_9-25-07.jpg

Thanks. Those are old pics from when I still had the 75 set up. I have the same clowns and same anemone in the 125 and they still spawn like clockwork.

Yeah, nice shots! I can't get mine to stay in one spot long enough lol.

They're already paired up. They've done the dominance thing, and one of them is now bigger and fatter than the other. They used to not swim together, but now, they're almost always around each other.

Capt. got it right IMO. prior to spawn you will definitely see an aggressive attempt to clean a spot for the eggs. They look great anyways and just a matter of time. congrats on a nice pair. thanks for the pics capt enjoyed um.

Back