Witch light to get?

RedTornado

Reefing newb
So I have been looking into getting a Reef light for a while know I and need help narrowing it down.

Current USA Nova Extreme Pro 6 x 54w. The only con I have herd/read is that the bulbs it comes with suck. I would hate to buy a new light and then have to stick another 100 bucks into it for bulbs. But I hear that there is a lot of people here on this forum that use it and have had success with it.

Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 10k/460nm Actinics Reviews

Sunlight Supply Tek Light 6 x 54w. It just so happens that this light is on sale. It doesn't come with bulbs or really anything. Just the fixture.

Sunlight Supply Tek Light High Output Fluorescent Lighting Fixtures

I do think both lights are good.
Witch one would u go with? Any other T5 fixtures that you would recommend?

:lol:...i was going to say stay away from the wicked ones.....
I have nova extremes and like them,but i also have triggers and angels so my coral choices are pretty limited

If i went MH i would need at least 2 150w lights right? Do you have any suggestions on brands and what not? Is it a must to get T5 actinic lights with them? Is over heating of the tank a issue with them?

I have looked into them a little. I have just herd from so many people say that T5's are the way to go but i am willing to go with really anything. I am wanting to get a lighting system that will let me keep anything so i would never have to upgrade down the road.

I think you would fine with the lights you posted earlier. You might not be able to keep a nem, but you could easily do SPS and clams with them.

But with the MH, clipping a fan to the tank usually solves most heat issues. And its not a must to get the t5s, but many people do to brighten the colors.

Also when you buy the T5's you dont usually have to replace the bulbs right away, just a little sooner than if you bought the bulbs separately

are either one of those fixtures better then the other or are they both pretty much the same?

I really dont care about a shimmering effect. I just really want to be able to keep SPS in the future.

I don't know if one is better then another but, I do know that the first fixture is used on 90g tanks so it will be more then enough for your tank. And also, a 150w MH wouldn't be enough for your tank. You'd need at least 2 175w, if not 2 250w MH for your tank.

are either one of those fixtures better then the other or are they both pretty much the same?

I really dont care about a shimmering effect. I just really want to be able to keep SPS in the future.

They both are about the same after the pros and cons.

The Teks have better reflectors and choosing your own bulbs will get you more PAR(light for corals) but they do not have cooling fans.Test show that the cooler the bulb the more light T5 bulbs put out.The Nova comes with bulbs although they are adequate at best but will save you some money,doesn't have true individual reflectors but does have cooling fans.

I like the Tek Elites and ATI Sunpower better then both of them but they cost more.

Back