wontonflip's 125g build

Wait a minute do you have any idea how long it took me to get that thing lose using telepathy....J/k glad its nothing major...

ok. Been a while.......holy crap, 2 years since I last posted! LOL Bear with me while I get this out of my system...

I lost steam for a long time and was just maintaining the tank. I had every intention of breaking this down and downgrading, keeping just the clownfish. I gave all the fish to my cousin who has a nice 250g or so setup. I kept the clownfish, who only ever spent his days hosting the overflow anyway. I was in a rut and not at all feeling inspired.

I started shopping for an all in one nano Settled on the Innovative Marine Nuvo 8 or 16g setup today. I was ready to start shopping for it. Then, I wandered into my Petco for cat supplies. Naturally, made my way over to the fish section. This lady that I've seen there often over the years was working the section. She was the first employee in this particular Petco that I knew really understood saltwater; not like other employees who only know freshwater. This lady knows her way around saltwater. Anyway, she was there today fiddling with the frag tank. I wandered around, and low and behold, Petco now carries the Octopus brand skimmers and Hydor brand powerheads!!! I nearly fainted!

Anyway, I went to talk to her and ask about medication for flatworms, and we got to talking about the new stock. They started stocking them just 2 months ago! She said she was glad corporate finally opened their eyes to what true hobbyists are looking for. I was telling her about my plans to downgrade. She started talking about her 2 tanks -- 1 fowlr, and 1 reef w/ LEDs. I don't know why, but when I started driving home, I got inspired to really work on my 125g again!

So what I need to do is put the clown in a small 10g with some sand and live rock (and the one rock I have with mushrooms), nuke the flatworms in the 125g, clean it up and just commit to putting in more rocks. I'm thinking of having a smaller sump, too. It's currently a 60g pond liner. I will break it down, get a used tank, put it IN the pondliner (so in case of floods, it will just dump into the empty liner), and just use that. I will definitely go full reef, so I have yet to get lights. Hopefully by the time I've really cleaned the tank of pests, then I can concentrate on that next. I think I will write Petco and give her props :)

nice, I wish my petco carried hydor PH's...They just don't pay enough to get a good SW expert for their tanks in most areas

Yeah, all the Petco's are different. It really depends on who they hire to run the fish department. This was the first time I found a knowledgeable marine hobbyist in a Petco. I think Erin worked at a Petco, so at least we know THAT Petco had a good employee :D Hopefully the other Petco's will carry those high end parts, as well.

There are a couple of Petcos around me that have some decent employees. The closest one to me is run by a buddy of mine named Charlie. I know the system is okay, because, I helped him set everything up for it lol :p

I did I did! WAY back in the day. I loved that job.

I contacted Petco via their site about her. They replied thanks, and that they have a program called "caught in the act" or something where they praise their employee and they become elligible to be employee of the month. They said they will forward it to her manager. I hope so. She was awesome!

I picked up 2 55g water barrels for $30 each! They are normally $150. Someone was selling them on craigslist. They used it for just water and it is in almost new condition; did a leak test before I left. It will make storing rodi and saltwater easier. I always worry my trash bin that I use will break (already had that happen. Lol)

I contacted Petco via their site about her. They replied thanks, and that they have a program called "caught in the act" or something where they praise their employee and they become elligible to be employee of the month. They said they will forward it to her manager. I hope so. She was awesome!

I picked up 2 55g water barrels for $30 each! They are normally $150. Someone was selling them on craigslist. They used it for just water and it is in almost new condition; did a leak test before I left. It will make storing rodi and saltwater easier. I always worry my trash bin that I use will break (already had that happen. Lol)

I remember when that happened. Eeeewwww.

Yes...THIS!!!

https://www.livingreefs.com/threads/cracked-30g-bin-doh.43192/#post-584007

2012-08-06010158.jpg

Hehehehe..

Man, so I had to get a new TFC membrane for my rodi. Already got the other cartridge refills. Went to an LFS about 15 miles north of me. The owner is a regular at the wamas.org forums (the local reefing club here). I didn't know he was from there when I was talking to him. His store is a hole-in-the-wall, but I actually prefer those stores to the big fancy tidy ones LOL He has lots of nice corals, all under radions of course. Anyway, I'm happy that there is a good fish store nearer to me. I'll be frequenting there.

Hey baby I like your barrels.

:wolf whistle:
You can put whatever you like in my barrels anytime ;)

I have to reorganize my sump room. It's looking like a fish store in there with tanks and pipes and old equipment LOL Then I'll have room for it.

Spent the last 3 days trying to find an o-ring for my tfc membrane canister. It's got a slow dripping leak since changing out the membrane. Can't find an o-ring to fit, not even online! Just the o-rings for the clear cannisters below it. Finally, one of the LFS's put some sort of o-ring sealant on it and it seems to have helped. I might have to add more.

Back