wontonflip's 125g build

Took advantage of Thanksgiving/Black Friday deals -- after deciding I don't want to shell out $1200 for 3 Radions or even 3 AI's, I was going to just diy my LEDs. But then after seeing the Onyx from RapidLED and reading reviews and watching youtube videos, I decided to just go with that. After applying a 15% discount for the holidays, the total ended up being $760 for 3 lights. I saved like $135.

I'm only planning on keeping softies anyway. The dimmer is manual, but the setup is compatible with Apex/Neptune, so in the future, I can always upgrade it. For now, manual will do. I'm flexible :)

Plus it would be easy to replace parts if needed. Excited!! Overall, reviews seem to be good. For the price, and ease of upgrading/fixing, it's right up my alley.

http://www.rapidled.com/dimmable-onyx-by-rapid-led/

Will post pics once I get it!!!!

That sounds great, My tank is so much smaller I went with the Orbit marine from current and am so happy with it. I look forward to seeing your new lights.

Yeah as much as I would love radions, I think my kids would rather I get them food. :rolleyes: LEDs have come so far now that companies are getting better at making good products.

I would be more comfortable mod'ing an Onyx than an expensive Radion, too.

I didn't get a dimmer yet. I want to see what else I can get besides their manual one and the expensive Neptunes.

I lucked out on mine it has a a built in timer/controller. I totally agree on the kids wanting to eat everyday...lol

Woohoo!

Mental note to self...don't look directly at the light 12" from your face while plugging it in. o_O:cry::eek: Idiot!!

rapidled-onyx-3_zpsc1d76f62.jpg

rapidled-onyx-off_zps5e88f815.jpg

rapidled-onyx_zpsdf77b26e.jpg

Once I get my feet wet (pun intended) with easy softies, then I will most likely graduate to harder coral.

I have to figure out now what best color spectrum I want (and that corals will like). I figured out the Storm controller settings. It's simple enough. I"m setting it based on long/lat of the time zone I want to mimic (my own of course). I will have it dim on/off for sunrise/sunset. I guess I should just put it on full power at its peak until I see how my mushrooms react. I think I need to move my mushrooms to the bottom of the tank or they'll get shocked. They've been under ghetto lights for years LOL

As far as light spectrum, it has this:

• 14 CREE XT-E Royal Blue
  • 8 CREE XP-G Cool White
  • 4 SemiLEDs Violet UV
  • 1 CREE XP-E Green
  • 1 Oslon 660nm Red

Hubby hung them up! We got a pulley system (one that is made to lift bikes up to the ceiling). Cost around $20, so not bad!

lights-pulley3_zpsc6fa723b.jpg

lights-pulley2_zps14e4df85.jpg

We haven't organized the wires yet. Waiting on one 3 more cables before connecting the lights to the controller, then we will tie up all the wires neatly. Then we have to build the canopy, which will go up to the ceiling. But of course, next step is to freakin' do some massive water changes and clean up all the equipment :D I've got some nice hair algae growin' ;)

It comes with an automatic locking mechanism so it can't get loose. But I also plan to put a knot on the rope, just in case. This sucker ain't doing a thing unless I let it. It can hold up to 100 lbs.

It used to have hooks for the bikes, but we just unscrewed them and drilled holes into the poles to attach them to the pulleys.

I am basically starting over. I was going to take the whole thing down and downgrade, so I had given away my fish to my cousin who has a massive tank. And the tank was originally a fowlr. I've upgraded the lights so I can go full reef.

Back