wontonflip's 125g build

Btw cc...I just now saw your pic. We actually didn't have any 90 degree pvc bends to do your durso. We have the T, though. So we will do that durso configuration with the overflow furthest from the sump once we get another bend. Did it really help cut the sound?

Just got my wye splitter for my return. That sucker was hard to find. Couldn't get it in home depot or lowes. Finally found it online through a pvc supplier. Cost me $13 with shipping. *sigh* the things we do for our tanks.

I guess we'll put it right at the beginning, just right after the pump. hopefully we lessen our headloss. Also my lfs told me they received the checkvalve for my return...but unfortunately, they sent a 1 1/2" valve! The lfs did say, tho, they they use larger check valves for theirs, and they just use reducers. Still debating if I want to have them send it back for the right one, or just do what they did.

More pics and fun w/ my wacom :)

We're very very close to finishing up the plumbing. Ran another trial run earlier, found a leak. Tested the 1 way valve, which works GREAT. Looks like something out of Doc Brown's Delorean in there or something. We decided to glue the parts together (except sections to any bulkheads or the 1 way valve).

We also built a modified durso standpipe for one of the overflows. We couldn't fit a full T and 90degree in the overflow, so we had to cut the T's side hole and one of the 90degree holes. The problem is we might lose too much flow to the sump, and the pump might push out too fast. We'll see how it goes.

For the sump, you'll notice that we put 2 tubs, one higher than the other. It does the same thing as baffles -- keeps the intake and return areas separated, allowing me to pump dirty water up to the fuge. We might have to do some rearranging when we settle on a skimmer. It might end up being external.

Modified durso:
DSC03763.jpg

Sump:
DSC03762.jpg

Plumbing's done! No more leaks. We will leave it running tonight and hopefully we don't wake up with a flooded basement :)

I just uploaded this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC5vkheZsIg"]YouTube - 125plumbing[/ame]

We figured out why the water was still running loud...it's not the overflow pipes anymore....it's the water coming in from the main tank into the overflow. :frustrat:

OMG there's a reason God made Ian and guided him to form this site LOL

You were totally correct, cc. It's one of those moments of "Deflate the tires from the truck to lower it, thus allowing it to get out of the tunnel" I raised both dursos, and VOILA! Solved that problem.

The rest of the noise is from the water rushing to and from the pipes. Once I get doors for the cabinet and close it all up, the noise should be down to a trickle. Awesome!!

So the first full day of it running, things worked great. So...I think I'm ready to drain the tap out tonight, and start filling it w/ rodi. Then open up my big bucket of salt and make some saltwater! Yay!

So I finally drained the tank of tap water, dried it off, and started filling it up w/ rodi....and 12 hours later, I'm only a little over 1/4 of the way filled LOL. It usually takes me 10 hours to fill up a 20g tub. I don't like to turn on the water to the rodi too much because I'm scared of the pipes or tube connectors bursting and flooding my basement.

I might make more rocks tonight. I want to cure it indoors since it's getting cold outside, but I don't want to have to do water changes in the tub. We'll see. It will be a little warmer this week, so maybe I'll do it outside anyway. I don't mind waiting an extra month for the rocks to cure.

OMG!!!!! It's the 2nd day.....and I still have 16 more gallons to go in the main tank, PLUS the overflows PLUS the sump!! :frustrat:

Then again, I overlooked the fact that I still need to buy a couple of heaters for the tank. Hehehe.

I'm right there with you Wonton... My display is about half full, not counting overflows... and the sump. kinda wish I'd shelled out the bucks for a higher output unit...

It's nerve wracking isn't it?? I keep looking back at it and it almost looks like it's going backwards -- it's evaporating as it trickles in LOL

A watched pot never boils, and a watched tank never fills up LOL

It took 2 1/2 friggin' days, but it's FINALLY FILLED UP!!!! YAY!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce::^::^::^:

So now....hrm....gotta get a couple of heaters. I have just 1 bag of sand. But I guess I'll start putting salt in today. Got my bucket o' salt sittin' here collecting dust waiting for me to fill this sucker up. So I guess, salt first, then the sand, get the heaters and more sand, and then maybe start the cycle. My 45 is due for a water change anyway.

Remember, the sand will displace a bunch of the water! Save any unused water for your next water change.

Thanks for reminding me....I almost forgot :) But there should be enough room to accomodate for the displacement. The sump is a little less than half full. Plus for now, I just have 1 40lb bag.

Should I rinse the sand? It's Aragonite.

personally i wouldnt, unless your gonna rinse it in rodi, otherwise your just adding crap from the tap...

also, is it "live"(like in a bag sealed and wet), or is it just dry sand?

Back