Woohoo! Nitrate is zero!

Wes888

Reef enthusiast
Haven't done Nitrate test for over a week, since the Nitrate didn't seem to move at all. Just tested it today and it's a 0ppm!! Had to do it twice to make sure. lol.

I did quite a few things in the last week and I also have a 7"+ DSB, but I don't know how long would the DSB have effects on the tank. There are 2 other likely possible reasons:

First thing was unintentional. I have been getting a lot of green algae in the pass week. By the end of the day, sand bed was green, rocks are green, and all 4 walls of the tank are green. I cleaned them all up at night and the next day, by the evening, same all green! I think my tank became a giant Nitrate scrubber and used up all the Nitrate.

Second thing was a disaster that happened this pass Sunday. I got a new external Octopus 200 Protein Skimmer a week ago and it has been temperamental. One day the bubble level is lower than the cup and another day the water overflow. Just this Sunday, we had a full day father day activities with a few families. When we came back at night, the Skimmer filled up my 5 gal dirt overflow bucket and the return pump had been pumping little water with LOTS of bubble the whole day. Usually by the end of the day my pH is at 8.5 but that day, it was 7.9!!! The entire tank was like solid green color. It just looked so scary. It may not have anything to do with the Nitrate, but it was one of the major thing that happen in the pass week.

Oh, I also put in a big air stone in the sump to try to increase the air exchange to try to lower the pH.

Last edited:
Back