Woohoo! Skimmers here

Nedim

Reefing newb
Finally picked up my super skimmer. Man is it huge!

Ill post some pics when Im done installing

:^: :^: :^:

OK, I need some help. I turned it on, and its overflowing. No clue what went wrong. I can post some pics if need be. Can anyone help me?

From what I have read you have to dial it in just right, and that can take alittle time with the adjustment valve. Right now it sounds like you got too much flow and its skimming wet. Turn the knob back till you dont get anything, then move it open alittle wait a day if still nothing move it open a little more and give it another day and so on.

Thanks for the quick reply bobby. Yeah, I added a tube and connected it to the overflow valve on the collection cup just in case. I'm a little confused as to what wet and dry skimming is?

You want dry, wet is were the foam has more water in it and fills the cup very quickly. Dry is were the foam looks dry and doesnt fill the cup that fast. The dry skimmate should also be darker than wet. When you have too much flow it will raise your water line in the skimmer and push the foam out too fast and covered with too much water, in order to make it drier you have to turn the flow down.

The most likely reason for the micro bubbles is because the flow is too high, once you turn it down it should quit the bubbles in the tank and skim dry.

I turned it down all the way and there are still tons of micro bubbles.

On the plus side, I'm already seeing skimmate. Its dark brown in color.

Hows this for over-kill? lol

tank2-1.jpg

and the bubbles

tank1-1.jpg

WOW that does look like alot of bubbles. How far did you turn it back?

EDIT: Never mind I just read you turned it down all the way. It might need a little time to get the rest of the bubbles out or maybe its just breaking in I dont know.

If you've added anything to your water such as water conditioner, slime coat, Cycle, medications, etc. that will cause your skimmer to go crazy for a few days.

ahh, ok

thank you!

I was going crazy trying to adjust the output hose .

Oh and btw- I took out the biowheel filter. Im gonna install the magnum tomorrow.

Good luck with the skimmer. Just watch your ntrates after you add the canister filter, you will need to clean it often to keep the ntrates down.

Sorry im a little late on this post.
But is you turn the flow control valve to just half open for the fist couple of days it will help the micro bubbles.
Also if the output hose is closer than an ince from the bottom of the bubble trap it will cause your skimmer to overflow.
You might also want to get a small piece of plexi-glas and drill a hole just big enough for the output hose to go through and place it on top of the bubble trap. That will help keep salt off your light.
Those are great skimmer,I just installed mine a couple of weeks ago and love it.

Thanks for the input yote.

Nothing seems to be reducing the micro bubbles though. Will it do this every time I treat the water?

Back