woooooo lights

Discussion in 'Reef Fishes' started by ReefWannabe, Mar 8, 2006.

1. ReefWannabe

ReefWannabe

Ok finally.. I got my lights today from a local reefer!!! The guy was really cool, we talked at his house for like 4 hours lol. he gave me alot of first-hand knowledge hes picked up, and some donts that hes learned.
    I got a dual 175 MH with magnetic ballast and 2 vho 48 inch for $280

I have to buy new vho bulbs. He gave me 2 sets of MH bulbs. 1 set is true 10000K and the otehr set is 12000K. He said he switched them back and forth for a bit until he decided he liked the 10k better. The bulbs are 4 months old.

How long do mh bulbs with magnetic ballast usually last?
    and should I clean them with alcohol and let them air dry since they've been touched on the way home??

ReefWannabe, Mar 8, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. ReefWannabe

jhnrb

Good buy for sure. it you touched the bulbs with your hands you need to wipe them off with something soft that will remove any body oils, finger prints etc. I guess the alcohol would do it, but, id just wipe them off carefully. since you have a 10000k and 12000k, maybe put one of each in until you decide which you like. the 1200k will be a bit bluer. Mh last apprx. 1 year on an 8 to 10 hour photoperiod and maybe a bit longer on a 4 to 6 hour photo period. I would recommend changing out though at least once per year. just my thoughts. good luck. nice buy.

jhnrb, Mar 8, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. ReefWannabe

ReefWannabe

ok cool. yeah Ive already decided I like to 10k much better. I Plugged it up and had my g/f hold it over the tank so I could see it lol.

ReefWannabe, Mar 8, 2006
  4. ReefWannabe

jhnrb

mh need apprx. 15 min. to come up to full intensity and spectrum, so I am assuming you allowed the bulbs to come up to full temperature and stabilize before comparison. just an after thought.

jhnrb, Mar 8, 2006
  5. ReefWannabe

ReefWannabe

actually no, i didnt think it was that long. I had noticed the 12k looked a little yellower in the tank and the 10k looked crystal white/clear. ill try them again tonight and give proper warmup time.

ReefWannabe, Mar 8, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question