Woot! Just ordered a Reefkeeper Lite 3

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
:^:

Looked at the RKL-3 and the AC Jr but the RKL-3 just seemed to be the better value especially long term. Should be more than enough for my small system.
If anyone has one and wants to throw some tips/advice my way, feel free. :)

here is some free adivce: that thing is riddle with bugs

this is an excerpt from a article about it

"Turns out that Reef Keeper Elite might have been released too soon. Or at least thats what some owners are saying. With a horde of bug problems with the Reef Keeper Elite one owner had this to say: “As far as bug fixes and new modules, it’s a waiting game played a company w/ 3 employees who do the day-to-day support, sales and PayPal accounts receivables. Forget getting a refund at this point, another user was angrily informed that he’s stuck with the unit & the thread was shut down [on their support site]“."

Last edited:
I don't see the article you're referencing dustin. How old is it?
They've already released bug fixes/firmware updates.

The recent reviews I've read have been good.

it was written back in september, and DA says that dont expect to have the "big" bugs worked out until firmware version 2.0 (dont know if its out yet) and it also would seem after further reading that the systems riddled with bugs seem to be in the minority although those reviews ive read seem to have the owners in that minority

Ya, that's what I thought. It's old. And those bugs were from the RKE if it was back in september. The RKL was released in 2009, which would include all the bug fixes since the RKE was released. The research I did, including checking out their support forum, didn't turn up anything much.

Sooooo.... anybody who actually owns one have any comments? ;) :mrgreen:

I'm waiting to see how yours does first:D
I've been wanting one for a while,just havent been able to justify the cost yet.

Ya, I'll let ya know, Yote.

I'm excited to have better lighting control, the safeguard of the temp control, and the standby/feed mode where it will turn off the return pump and some of my powerheads without me having to unplug them and then plug them back in. The alarms will be nice too.

Be sure to give us a complete run down on it.
That way I'll know if its worth it to make the wife mad or not:D

I cant speak for the reefkeeper lite. I bought the reefkeeper elite and love it. I never experienced any of the bugs, but they were mostly involved with the initial units that were sold before they were available to the general public. And keep in mind usually people who take the time to post on those forrums and articles are the few who have a problem. Anyway, if your reefkeeper lite is anything like my elites quality and easy functions you will love it. And there support forrum is great, the few questions I had with techinical setup were answered within 24 hours.

Ok, so I got this bad boy on Friday and had a little time over the weekend to start playing with it. It's still not fully set up yet but here's my initial thoughts.

1. First and foremost, the instructions supplied with it are HORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE. I mean it goes through and gives you a decent idea of what the different settings do, but it doesn't go into much detail or explanation. Thank god for their support forums. But even on the forum with stickies like "basic setup" I'm still totally confused so you need to rely on other users or the owners to answer your questions one by one.

2. Now that that's out of the way.... the equipment itself is top notch. Everything is built very well, great fit/finish, everything feels and looks to be good quality stuff. The screen on the main display/control panel is easy to read and the interface is intuitive. Once you manage to figure out what does what and HOW to setup your equipment to do what you want, the actual programming is really freakin easy.

3. My set up so far.
Right now i have my actinic t5's set to come on first, controlled by channel one. Channel 2 turns on my daylight bulbs an hour later. Channel 3 is turning my lunar leds on and off at night (if you have actuall lunar modules you can control their intensity with the lunar cycle). Channel 4 runs my heater, keeping it at 78 degrees with a variance of .2 degrees. That's it for the first PC4. The second PC4 is running my main pump on channel 1 and 3 of my powerheads on channel 2 (i have a 2' extension cord plugged into channel 2 that splits into 3 plugs on the other end). These 2 channels are programmed with Standby, so when it's time to feed the tank they will shut off for however long I want. I programmed it for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes they will automatically turn back on. I also programmed channel 2 to turn off at night. So those 3 powerheads will off from 11pm to 6am. The remaining 2 powerheads i have will continue to run 24/7. I figure this will help my fish sleep a little easier.

That's it for now. I have not setup the ph monitor yet and not sure how I'm going to use the last two available channels. I could use one for my skimmer but i tend to leave that running all the time unless I need to clean the injector. Everything else I can leave running off a standard powerstrip. The only other thing I'm not sure of is my ATO setup. It's running ok now as is but I need to see whether or not I can gain anything by running it through the RKL.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get everything permanently installed and cleaned up. Right now it's a mess of wires.

You'll like have that PH probe too.Its sweet to be able to just look and see what the PH is,or even look back at how much it swings during the entire photoperiod.

You'll like have that PH probe too.Its sweet to be able to just look and see what the PH is,or even look back at how much it swings during the entire photoperiod.

Ya should be nice, but I'm usually not all that concerned with PH.
I'd much rather have probes for calcium, alk and mag. :D

Glad to see you got it hooked up. I had the same problem with the manual. All I got with the reefkeeper elite was a CD. I had to sit and print the whole thing off. And after printing the whole thing realized it was useless. Like you said it kind of identifies everything but helps in no way with basic setup and programming.

Back