Word of advice

yote

In Memoriam
I thought Id post this here,since this is where alot of new hobbest come to first.
If your going to set up a reef thank,think about having a back up heater in your tank.
I come home from hunting this morning and was sitting here at the computer when I noticed that my corals were all closed up.Which is very unusal,Fish hovering close to the power heads.
I got up and went to check. All parms were good,all normal.Then I got to thinking,the water seemed kinda cool.I looked at the thermoter,71*F.:shock:
So now im off to petsmart to get 2-200watt heaters,and praying that my tank dont crash.
So if your setting up a new system,please go ahead and invest in an extra back up heater.The extra cash spent just might save you alot of money and worries in the long run.:grumble:

Last edited:
Good advice. But just remember that heaters can fail in the ON position too. I lost a nice bubble coral because it got cooked in close to 90 degree water. Was surprised that the fish survived. So as a nightly check, always do a temp check.

Brian

I doubt you will lose your corals based on just a short time off... think of it has a storm kicked and flipped the sea.

I am probably in need of updating my heater - I've had this one for a very, very long time.. but.. it's working well. Ah well.

I have to say, that's one nice thing about living in Florida in all but the coldest months - even with all the windows open this time of year (and for the last month really), the temperature in our apartment rarely drops below 75 or 76, and in the hottest months the AC is set at 78-80. So, if the heater did croak, at worst the corals would be only a bit chilly for a few hours. No :death: only a little :grumble:

On the other hand...I DID have a heater stick become more and more "uncalibrated" until it would reach 82 degrees when set at 70. That's a bit scary...

I have two heaters that I check weekly to make sure they are working. Heaters can last several years so keep that in mind. I have one that is calibrated high for some reason so I have it set lower than the other and my tank is kept nicely at 80 degrees. Glad to hear that your fish have survived the scare.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Great advice. I use 2 150W heaters for my 65 but I never thought about 1 of them failing off. I was more concerned of minimizing any bad effects if 1 of them got stuck on.

Back