word to the wise about frags and lionfish

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
Tonight, while adding some new frags, I didn't seem to notice my dwarf lion stalking my hand as I'm looking for a place to glue the plug down. I guess he mistook the plug as a piece of shrimp which I usually shake around in the water to get his attention...:shock:
So, a second later, I have a middle finger tip with 3 slashes on it from his *VENOMOUS* fins, at which point I jerk my hand back and stab the back of my hand on a cluster of spines from my urchin. Now I'm normally a fairly tough guy with pain, but
OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWIEEEEEE!
:frustrat:
So, learn from my mistake. Feed the lion BEFORE sticking frags in the tank.:grumble:

I soaked my hand in a bowl of vinegar I happened to have sitting out for cleaning koralias. You know, it took the sting right out within 5 minutes. I remembered when I was a kid in hawaii, being stung by a man-of-war on the beach and my mom pouring vinegar on the sting. Worked then, worked tonight!

Actually everything turned out ok. Have about 7 black slivers from the urchin in my hand, other than that the lion sting went away after the vinegar dip. I was screaming though, for a good 5 minutes. Even though the lion cuts were on my finger tip, it felt like someone was jamming a red hot soldering iron under my fingernail. I'm so clumsy!

AWW COME ON,Didnt hurt that bad did it?:mrgreen:

I already know the answer to that:D
I had a fuzzy dwarf that flopped out of the net,and like any good fish keeper,I reached down and scooped him up without thinking.So I wont even put my hand in the tank with a lionfish after that one.

Right at 6 months.
Traded him because he wasnt to happy in my tank.He didnt want to eat anything except my pepperment shrimp.
Thats also why I traded my foxface.He got me several times.And it was worse than the lionfish sting.Lions can control how much toxin they release in a sting,rabbit fish cant control it.

Back