Working out the kinks...

Steveg229

Addicted
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and saltwater. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and everyone is very helpful.

I purchased a used 100 gallon saltwater setup about 3 weeks ago. The setup is in excellent condition and was up and running as a predator tank. I have setup as a soon to be reef tank...All predator fish were given to LFS to sell for me. I kept a falco hawkfish and a coral beauty.

I purchased an RO/DI system before setup. Here is the rest of the equipment.

-2 month old T5 HO light
-Pro clear wet/dry trickle filter with protein skimmer- I have removed all bio balls and used live rock/rubble rock
-2 koralia powerheads
-18w Coralife UV sterilizer

After initial cleaning and setup all is great and 2 fish are excellent. Since setup, tank parameters have been: Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and Nitrate about 3 ppm. Salinity 1.025 Temp- 78-79.

Clean up crew 50 crabs 50 snails

Shortly after setup, cyano has been an issue. Its on about 30-40% of live rock I am assuming this is from moving the tank?? I just did a 20 gallon water change to try and get nitrates down and removed all of the cyano before hand.

I clean the prefilter on sump every 5-7 days or more. The only other thing I question is the protein skimmer return foam block (to prevent micro bubbles) I have cleaned several times, but is it really coming clean? I see this as a nutrient factory.... Any other options for this?

I am trying to locate the source of nitrates feeding the cyano...??? Or is it just because of new tank setup?

Any pointers/suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks. :D

Could be a new tank symptom
Also, how much total flow do you have? Cyano usually grows in a low flow environment.

There should really be close to 20-40 times the tank volume of turn over. IMO, it is better to have many small powerheads than just a few large ones. It lets you adjust the flow accordingly.

You can remove the foam block, if you don't get too many microbubbles by doing so. If you keep it, you will have to keep cleaning it. Cyano is pretty normal in a new tank (and by moving the tank and setting it up again, you are pretty much starting a "new" tank). Adding more flow will definitely help (I second the idea to get several powerheads instead of just two -- in my 90 gallon tank, I had four powerheads, totalling 5400 gph in flow). You should get more flow. 2100 gph isn't that much, and cyano thrives in a low flow environment.

I will look into getting more powerheads. I am also going to get the api reef test kit this weekend to check phosphate levels. And another water change... The cyano came back the next day after removal and water change...I thought it would take at least a couple days...lol

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. Just keep up with your tank maintenance, and it'll eventually die off...but it'll take a few water changes to completely remove all the built up nutrients that being released from the live rocks.

Thanks for all your suggestions. We will see what happens. Glad to see some others that live near by...I wonder if we all frequent the same Fish Stores?

One thing I would add is that hawkfish can be really nasty to new comers. In my tank (30 Gallon) He ripped apart a royal gramma that was added after him. May not be such a problem considering you have a much larger tank but i thought i'd just let you know.

We will see how things go...I would hate to have to sell him, as he is such a cool fish. I have aquascaped so there are many caves and hiding spots, so lets hope that helps.

The furthest south I have gone to a fish store is to the one in Frankfort on Rt 30 and 80th ave. Reef City. I just happened to drive past one the other day in Lockport. Called Gills 'n Thrills. Havent been to that one since we didn't have time to stop in. Any other ones to the south west?

There is also
Aquatica on 167th and Oak Park Ave
Rob's on 171st and Harlem
Chicago Reptile House just north of Orland mall on John Humphrey Dr.

There are a few more, but they are more north and would be a long drive for you. They are a long drive for me

I buy most of my stuff from Rob's Aquatics in Tinley Park, as I work only a few minutes away. I have been to Reef City as well, as I can make that on the way home if I want, LOL. Both are excellent stores.

Another awesome place north west of here is in Lisle, called Reef Wise. Lots of corals, could spend hours in there.

I have been to Aquatica several times, but not to the one in orland yet. Those are the only ones that I am familiar with.

UPDATE: The cyano is on its way out! 75% gone so far! In the last week they cyano has been finally disapearing. More is gone every day! I am so happy!

Whether it was from new tank syndrome, or I inherited it from the previous owner I will never know, but I am glad to see its almost all gone.

What I have done to combat this from the day is started:

20 gallon water changes every 2 weeks along with cleaning cyano off as much as possible before hand

adding 3rd powerhead

converted sump to a fuge
added GFO reactor
added chaeto
A 3-month long battle....

Finally!! I will be able to start adding more fish...slowly of course.

Merry Christmas to me! :)

Back