Worm or algae? OK, don't laugh at me!

DAvis

Reefer Madness
This came off the live rock after a few weeks. Lots of them, and we like them! Never mind the hair algae! Very new tank. Thanks for your collective knowledge!

Attachments

• macro.JPG
    macro.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,416
My best guess on those,would be some kind of tube worm.
Can you get a closer pic Davis?

Hi Yote, that's what I thought at first. They are decidedly green, and the 'fronds' don't retract. I'll try to get a better picture later.
Thanks guys!

That's a tough one. I've never seen anything like it. Based on the fact that it's green, that alone indicates it's an algae... But I'm really not sure.

Those are weird.
Yes they are!!

Maybe some kind of clove polyp?
I don't think so, the 'polyps' are very light and feathery

That's a tough one. I've never seen anything like it. Based on the fact that it's green, that alone indicates it's an algae... But I'm really not sure.

Algae, that's the way I was leaning.

Someone put a bug in my head about hydroids... It's possible, but i still haven't found anything quite like this!

Great news! I think I would not like to have a tank full of hydroids! I sent a note to the guy I got the aqua-cultured live rock from. I imagine he knows what it is...
Thanks daugherty!

OK, they are most definitely acetabularia species! Still not sure if good or bad yet. They are getting funky, but cool looking green discs at the head. Someone described them as Dr. Seuss-like and I have to agree! I'll try to get a pic of them to show you all

Back