Worm

fishman

Reefing newb
I found a worm in my tank .It was about 3/4 in. long pink and fuzzy. Is it good or bad ? If it is bad how do I get rid of it ? My tank is finally clear a month later .I just do not what a new problem.If it is bad I want to fix it know.

From your description it could be a Fireworm but I couldn't seem to find a close up pic in your tank. According to my book these are usually stowaways in Live rock, they can cause havok in your tank due to the venemous bristles on their bodies (it you accidently brush against the work the sting feels like being burnt by fire)

I have attached a picture which you can compare it to, as I could be wrong it just sounds like a Fireworm from the discription

It could be a bristle worm also, if so throw it out before it gets to large. See if you can find it and take a picture of it. Or do a search with google for imgae of bristle worms.

Thanks to jhrnb and his recomendation of a Six Line Wrasse to me for taking care of my clam I also know they will eat bristle worms, oyramidellid snails, urchins, flat worms & bristle worms. So oyu might want to throw one of these guys in your tank for pre-caution.

Fireworm (aka Bristle Worms) are one of the most misunderstood and controversial hitchhikers of them all. Fact is there are around 120 species of Fireworms with only a few being predatory and a couple being parasitic. The predatory and parasitic worms rarely make there way into our systems. This leaves well over 100 species of Fireworms that are beneficial scavengers and that are more commonly found in our tanks.
I have read reports that when a tank gets overpopulated with Fireworms they can become problematic. With moderate feeding and a good diverse population of other scavengers, this should not be a problem but sense they can reproduce both sexually and asexually… giving the right conditions, they could reproduce quickly. some fish like 6-line wrasse and pseudochromis like to munch on them.so the choice is yours.to keep or get rid of it.
[/img]

minireefer is right on. so which one do you have? gee got me, but, at this point if it really bothers you, there are several traps available to trap um. dr. smith, pet warehouse or any other out let will have them. I like the sterle nylon knee sock with clam or squid. small piece inside weighted down to bottom over night and pull out 1st thing in morning. bristle worms get stuck in the nylon so you just pull them out, and some times with the other things that also get stuck that may be nocturnal feeders. hope something here helps. the 14" worm pulled out of my last system was definitely not a wanted item, the others were not a problem.

Back