Worried about a few of my fish..

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
First the lawnmower blenny: The last couple days my lawnmower blenny hasn't been quit as active. He's usually going around picking at the rocks, but he's been pretty much staying in one spot. I don't have him on any prepared foods yet (working on it), but the tank isn't completely algae ridden. There's some on the glass, and I put this hair algae covered rock from my other tank in there, but he doesn't seem interested in it.

Oh and my clownfish... They've always gotten along fine but today I swear I saw one of them picking at the other one, then it started dancing for a few seconds. They've also been a bit further apart than usual...

Am I just overreacting?

I would be worried about the blenny. They really arent herbivores, they are actually detrivores and need to be fed stuff other than algae. I would work on getting to eat something. What are you currently feeding?

I would be worried about the blenny. They really arent herbivores, they are actually detrivores and need to be fed stuff other than algae. I would work on getting to eat something. What are you currently feeding?

I feed my other fish formula one, mysis shrimp, cyclopeze, formula 2, and rod's food. The only thing the blenny shows any interest in it the formula 2. I take the syringe and squirt a little bit in his face and he wiggles his jaw, then typically runs away.

I'm pretty sure I've seen him eat pods, but I don't have a lot...

If he shows interest in the formula 2, then i would try and push it. But I have seen several of these guys starve to death, so dont "wait and see" with him.

+1 Little_Fish
i housed one for a friend for a month, he did scrape at my rocks alot, also he did sit around alot too. Always looked like he had a huge belly though. Never was interested in any other food i offered. They sit in the weirdest ways too...almost like he was leaning up against a rock with one fin...anyways he is back in my friends tank now and strictly eats algae from what he says, though im sure Lil_Fish is right they need much more then that. Good luck.

If he shows interest in the formula 2, then i would try and push it. But I have seen several of these guys starve to death, so dont "wait and see" with him.

What should I try? He doesn't trust me enough to really try, and he won't go after it, ruling out being able to just put the food in the tank and letting him find it..

+1 Little_Fish
i housed one for a friend for a month, he did scrape at my rocks alot, also he did sit around alot too. Always looked like he had a huge belly though. Never was interested in any other food i offered. They sit in the weirdest ways too...almost like he was leaning up against a rock with one fin...anyways he is back in my friends tank now and strictly eats algae from what he says, though im sure Lil_Fish is right they need much more then that. Good luck.

Just algae off the rocks or algae sheets and algae based foods?

I had a lawnmower that did amazing in my tank... but I know several people here have had a hard time keeping them. Mine ate frozen like a champ, though.

My LMB eats algae from rocks AND algae sheets. Try tying some algae sheets to a rock near where he lurks and let him pick at it.

My cardinal used to really afraid of me and the turkey baster, so I would have to hide the turkey baster behind and a rock and very gently squeeze food his way. I also had to stand absolutely still so that he wouldnt flee.

The blenny is being much more timid. It's like he found out I was trying to feed him and save his life so now he's freaked out. >.<

Well, just tie the algae to a rock, toss it in, and walk away. Nothing hard about that. After a while, he'll figure out that it's food.

Try soaking it in a little garlic (even if it's garlic fortified)...try anything to entice it to eat. Maybe try hiding it in a cave near him so he feels more secure. Is there someone picking on him? My LMB stopped going out to pick because of evil Kole Tang chasing him off. before that he happily picked on rocks (since getting rid of the tang, he's been out all day picking and has doubled his size -- he's stress free now).

Today he went MIA, I'm hoping he's still alive. I guess that's where experience comes in handy. Just went over the la entry on lawmower blennies again and it said they're easy herbivores. Kinda disappointing in them...

Back