Worried for my tank :(

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Well, ive been away since the 28th of june. I have my uncle coming to top up fresh water, but he cant come often so my sump is disconnected. Luckily I dont have a heavy bio load but ive been fighting some algae and winning.

Im hoping things arent terrible when i get back and that all my fish are well :( Im a bit worried now, i get back in 4 days from this month long trip :frustrat:

The holiday is great, but I hate leaving my tank!

Grrr, rant over lol

I would never be able to stand being away from my tank for a whole month. I was gone 4 days during the 4th of July weekend and I worried about my tank the whole time. My son did a great job taking care of it for me, but the first thing I did when I got home was to check on my tank. Hope your tank does as well as mine did while I was gone! Good Luck

Edit: My tank is only about 6 months old so I'm still a newbie.

I am sure everything will be fine upon your arrival but I agree I have alot of trouble leaving mine when I do..

Yea, I dont have any tank sitter, no one i know knows anything! And thanks everyone. Ive got faith that my fish are feeding fine, but im more worried that I lose something, or my nem has gone nuclear. Well, we shall see soon and there could either be a sad update or major relief.

Alright, update time! I just got home, the tank looks horrible imo.

Algae is everywhere but mainly over the glass which is a bad appearance.

My Mandarin is alive and I can see one of my clowns, so thats 2 of 3 accounted for.

I lost 1 clam, some sps and some other corals as well.

Happened to be, that my uncle didnt come and fill the tank up like I asked him.... so half the tank was empty, so glad I disconnected my sump or I would have broken pumps. I nearly lost my powerheads as well.

I can see 2 out of 3 of my nems, 1 always hides and cant see him yet. But Ive lost a few snails, still ahve my starfish and and sea cucumbers.

Good side, is some sps have grown! wierd. All in all, I can fix this up in the next couple of weeks pretty easily :) So good and bad.

Worked out another thing, my temp is at 20 degrees. Lucky I have a ceramic heater that turned itself off when the water level dropped too low... Or we could have had fire while I was away. I asked my uncle, once a week to fill it up, and he didnt. so disappointing.

Im amazed everything isnt dead!

Hey Josh ,,whats up buddy...
Sounds like your tank needs you...Doesn't sound too bad though...hopefully all returns to normal...
So you have 3 clowns in there??How did you do that:lol:?...I was thinking of trying it too,,but heard it rarely works

Haha no, I have 2 clowns :P but only 3 fish, saw the second clown just before so now 3/3 fish accounted for!

Not much is up though. Hoping to get the tank ship shape quick and working like a dog :)

How have you been? havent seen you around much!

Oh OK,,i read too fast:wink:..good luck and try to have a little fun with it...i know it must suck ATM
Been good ,,thanks:Cheers:

oh wow! That sucks that your uncle didn't do it. Guess he didn't feel it was important :( I bet your salinity is through the roof!! Maybe it's time to invest in an ato, or at least have an auto-drip thing....When I had my 45g, I had to leave for the weekend, so I started a slow drip of rodi into the tank because I didn't trust my brother in law to top off. A few weeks before the trip, I tested how fast I should set the drip into the tank to make sure I got the drip rate just enough to keep the tank topped off without floods. It's not the best thing, but it would have at least kept the water at a decent level. I'm glad I have a top off now!

Good idea Wonton, the new tank im planning will have an ATO and I wont have to worry, im not going anywhere for a number of months though, so it should be ok for now!

At least the nem didnt nuke the tank, that worried me.

salinity would have been double with the loss of 50 litres of fresh water

Wow! Whole month! I was extremely worry even for just 1 week vacation. I'm glad that things didn't gone too bad.

I guess some of your sps like higher salinity. :D

i hate people who say they will watch your tank and dont,they should pay for the losses of their neglect lol,yea i worryed the whole week i was on vacation,lucky for me i had an ato but 5 gallons only lasts for so long as far as top off goes,but it lasts me 4 days without needing me to fill it,although i doubt it will last that long now that i got my algae scrubber going
yea dont do a massive top off now or you will nuke your tank,i think if you could do a drip top off that would be like drip aclimation,just my thought though

Wow, sucks that the tank wasn't taken care of, but glad to hear the loss was not that bad. Get that ATO, you'll thank yourself every day for getting it. I really can't figure out why I waited so long to get mine.

Back