Worried

pheasant29

Reefing newb
I am worried about my snails.I have about 12 algae eating snails. Three that are huge.I have very little algae left for them to eat. What should i feed them? They are steady grazing all over the tank. I just don't want them to starve.

+1 Dcan and Biffers -- My snails love to jump on the foxface's algae sheets, even though they're high up on the tank...they make the trip! But they do take a while to consume them, and you shouldn't leave them for more than 24 hours, so Biff's suggestion is also good.

We like the little guys. I guess i could bring some of them back tho.How many can you guys sustain in your reef systems that have very little algae?

Each tank is different. In my 90 gallon tank, I have maybe 4 snails. I don't have hardly any algae. In some tanks, you need 1 snail per gallon. So it's hard to give you a number for your tank.

You want just enough to keep the algae under control.But you can use either of the above mentioned methods.Feeding or trading either one will be fine.

Peasant,

Here is how I would do it..Bring all snails that feed on macro-algae(Mexican turbos,margaritas).I have no macro algae but I do have microalgae.The dusty green stuff I swipe from the glass every three days.I keep snails for diatoms because they never completely go away unless you run a UV maybe.So I keep ceriths,astreas,nerites and trochus snails to take care of the diatoms.

Just buy 100 snails...when they stop dying that's how many you're supposed to have in the tank. Just kidding.

Thanks guys. I will try feeding first.Of course i wouldn't mind getting rid of the big bulldozer turbos. They are neat to watch, but man do they push things around.

Just don't ever get those monster zebra turbos if you ever plan on keeping SPS.

Those damn things must've cost me well over $100 in knocked over frags.

All right guys. Just to let you know. I put an green algae sheet in the tank AND EVERYTHING WENT CRAZY. Crabs and snails alike were all over it.they seem to love it. Thanks for the help.

Back