Worst non-tank related saltwater emergencies?

x19

Reefing newb
So, last night I went on the long 45 minute drive to fish store to buy saltwater (and a little ocellaris clown) it was disgustingly hot, and the 45 minute drive back home took 90 minutes (due to construction season in Chicago) so I opted to leave the water in the trunk overnight. This morning, as I was leaving for work I popped open the trunk and low and behold one of the 5 gallon buckets had toppled dumping its water.

Now, saltwater can be gross and water in the trunk is bad enough. However, I drive a BMW and BMW brags about their cars being equally heavy in the front as in the back. Better balance = better control. One of the ways they achieve this is by putting the battery in the trunk. Sure enough, my battery compartment was now filled with about 3 gallons of saltwater and presumably had been for about 13 hours.

Figuring out how to remove the battery in order to dry it out took about 30 minutes (damn european design) and then I had to sop up the water and put it all back together. Trying to start the car nothing happened but this was to be expected, of course the battery was drained in this process. So, we pull my wife's car around to jump mine and 2 hours later I had made no progress in starting the car.

So now I'm waiting for a tow truck to take my car to the shop for a repair bill that I'm sure will significantly hamper my coral purchasing power for a while.

I'm sure most everyone has had a saltwater emergency that wasn't caused by a leaky tank/plumbing. Lets hear it!

i think the worst non-tank related salt water emergency I can think of would probably be drowning..:mrgreen:

Drowning would clearly suck, and not be humorous at all :D

I just talked to a friend who had a small radiator leak in his Jeep which he would regularly top up with water. One day, he grabbed what he thought was r/o water and it was saltwater. He remembered about 3 days later and was able to have the radiator flushed before the salt ate his radiator from the inside out.

I was trying to pour a 8 gallon bucket of water into my tank. I go it up there but it slipped off and fell on the kitchen floor. I have heat vents in the kitchen floor and had saltwater trying to flow down them to the furnace. That sucked.

I know an older guy that used to maintain tanks professionally. He told me a story about getting some rare fish disease similiar to tuberculosis and being out of work for 4 months. All because he worked on a tank with a cut on his finger.

I guess since it was a fish disease and the human body couldn't defend against it, it could've killed him had he not gotten medical attention shortly after he noticed all the lymphnodes on his arms swelling.

We had a guy here in DC who used boiling water to burn Zoas off a piece of rock. He was in the hospital for days on lung breathing machine.

I know an older guy that used to maintain tanks professionally. He told me a story about getting some rare fish disease similiar to tuberculosis and being out of work for 4 months. All because he worked on a tank with a cut on his finger.

I guess since it was a fish disease and the human body couldn't defend against it, it could've killed him had he not gotten medical attention shortly after he noticed all the lymphnodes on his arms swelling.

It probably was tuberculosis -- that's actually a pretty common disease found in fish in this hobby, and it is easily transmissable to humans if you have an open cut. My old vlamingi had it!

Back