would it be safe to buy live rock slowly

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
ok so i went and bought instant ocean sea salt(its the only one they actually had at ANY freakin pet store and my locals sooooo my question is (i know i know im jumping ahead but this question just jumped into my head and thats why im asking) one of my LPS thats 10miles away has fiji rock curred and he sells it for 5.99 a pound once i get the water mixed and everything should i buy ALL the rock i need at once or can i buy small amounts until i reach my required amount (which since my tank is 75gal ,it should be 75+ right??) can i place my live sand in there and slowly add my live rock:12: since the rock is already curred

Last edited:
Even though 6 bucks a pound is a great price.Go with some where around 45 to 50 pounds of dry base rock and finish off with good cured live rock.
Most LFSs will have the base rock for around 2 or 3 bucks a pound.
If the rock is cured good and dont have anymore die off,you can add it in smaller amounts over time.

Even though 6 bucks a pound is a great price.Go with some where around 45 to 50 pounds of dry base rock and finish off with good cured live rock.
Most LFSs will have the base rock for around 2 or 3 bucks a pound.
If the rock is cured good and dont have anymore die off,you can add it in smaller amounts over time.

whats the base rock i mean besides the rock thats at the base:frustrat:

I agree with yote buy some base rock and add some LR. If you can't get all the LR at once it'll be ok to add cured LR later. I've been adding about 10 pounds of cured rock once a month and never gotten a cycle.

whats the base rock i mean besides the rock thats at the base:frustrat:

Base rock is dry rock. You usally find it on a store shelf. It will say for saltwater. Ask your LFS if they carry it. If yhey don't you can order it on line.

What you do is buy some base rock and seed it with live rock. Eventually the base rock will become LR. It's a lot cheaper to do it this way.

If you want a fast cycle you'll have to use mostly LR and live sand. But if you have patience you can go the base rock and LR route. It's really up to you which way to go. Remember in this hobby you need Patience or you'll end up starting at the beginning again. Use the time it takes the tank to cycle to read all you can about saltwater tanks.

There is (dry) rock often used as base rock, (wet) base rock which is sold out of a tank and has bacterial life but is usually with out any visible surface life, and live rock which has both bacterial life and at least some surface life such as coralline algae and maybe more. Dry base rock can be bought for about 50 cents a pound and up. Wet base rock is typically half the cost of fair live rock or a third the cost of good live rock. Of course that varies from store to store. It is always best to cure live rock before adding it to an already cycled tank if fish and coral are in the tank that will house the new coral. Of course you can take chances, and hopefully learn by them. The benefit of live rock is in both the bacteria and all the other life forms that come along with good live rock. Usually even wet base rock supplies virtually no other live forms but bacteria, and dry base rock supplies no bacteria or other life forms. If starting a tank with base or dry rock other life forms must be imported in order for them to exist in a tank, they do not just materialize out of air or come from a bottle. It is always best to inoculate your new tank with some quality live rock and live sand. Even if only 5 to 10 percent of your rock and sand is quality live rock and live sand it makes a huge difference in your tanks ultimate health. Especially if you want your tank to mature in a timely fashion. Even then a tank is usually not considered fully mature for a year or more.

Back