Wrasse Harrass

tritan

Reefing newb
So I bought a six-striped wrasse yesterday and get him home, acclimate him, and all was well. Went to work today and when I get home, the poor little guy got beat the hell up. Its fins have nip marks all over them. Seemed perfectly healthy this morning and my 120gallon has plenty of places to run and hide.

In my tank I have 2 clowns, 1 yellow tang, a coral beauty, and the wrasse. Im almost positive that its the tang because it's very territorial and the only one that chases things around at times. Its never bit but would chase them some. The tang has its own little "territory" that it stays in and I am wondering if the wrasse got adventurous.

So far I have turned out the lights and plan on moving the rock around where the tangs "territory" is so its not as territorial to that section. Is there anything else I can to to make a fish not as aggressive? They are well fed and have plenty of room and hiding spots.

Borrow a beauty mirror from your girlfirend/wife/mother and attach it to the side of the tank. The tang will see his reflection, and become more interested in that than the new fish. Leave the mirror there for a few days until the new fish gets settled in.

I had to do this when I added my Achilles tang to my tank. He is now very established, and if I add anything in the future, I will definitely need to do this myself

Moving the rocks around doesn't hurt either

After being able to observe him for a few days now he still seems pretty peaceful and happy. His fins are definitely chewed up but I am actually thinking it wasn't any of the fish and that it was actually himself tearing in and out of all the caves in the tank. He is not displaying any unnatural behavior and isn't disturbing any of the other fish, he just has been cramming himself into the smallest of caves. Strange..

Back