Wrasse Question???

hoopsdaddy

This is my reef club....
At my lfs today I noticed a wrasse in the frag tank. It looked amazing. Pinks, Greens, Purples, and Blues.
I believe it is one of these Wrasses, but neither looks exact. I have been searching wrasse images on the net for an hour and I have yet to find a fish that looks exactly like it.
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&pid=977&cid=290
or
http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=01-4129-S
some sites say "'great reef fish" others say "use caution" :frustrat:

Does anyone have experience with either of these fish? What are your recommendations?
Thanks gang!!

well, the exact coloration is extremely important as some species would be reef safe, while others would not. Are you able to take a pic of it from the store and post it up here?

I did but it seems like sometimes fish store owners have no idea what they are putting in their sale tanks. I know you have "never" seen that happen. I routinely have them correct the names on the fish tanks.

Called the owner of the store. She pulled the purchase order and it is a true christmas wrasse. halichoeres ornatissimus wrasse, also known as an ornate wrass or christmas wrasse. Anyone have any experience with them?

i havent owned one but is somewhat reef safe, It will eat fireworms and pyramidellid snails, protecting corals and clams. In addition, it may eat feather dusters, wild shrimp, tubeworms, and flatworms. It may also eat parasites off of tank mates

I think ours must be the female then. Very cool looking fish. They also got in the Black one but it was very dark. Made it hard to see the patterns.

Anyone who has one of these (leopard wrasse) have any trouble feeding it. I am reading a lot about how hard they are to feed and that they won't accept anything but copepods. Mine ate mysis with garlic 15 minutes after I put it in the QT. I have fed several times in small amounts and it is eating every time. It does not appear to be very picky.

I have never had a problem with mine eating. For the first 6 months or so, it would never eat when I fed the tank, but I would see it grazing on the rocks throughout the day. In the last 6 months, it comes out to eat what I feed with all the other fish.

Back