Wrasses

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Still thinking about adding a few more reef fish to my tank as final additions (9 fish now, all but 1 will remain small, 120g total water volume, 165lbs rock) - anthias are one option, but another option would be another wrasse. I already have a male red velvet fairy wrasse and a black cap basslet, both of whom can be a bit dominant but manage to get along. Also have a small six-line who keeps to itself. If I add another wrasse it would be either a fairy or flasher wrasse. I'm just wondering how the RVFW and basslet would respond to another fairy or flasher wrasse? Any types that might work well, or alternatively wouldn't work at all due to potential for being bullied if they are super shy species? I've been looking at the ones on LA and potentials are carpenters, mccoskers, blue headed fairy, clown fairy, scotts fairy, whip-fin fairy. Also maybe considering a tamarin (the spotted ones). Obviously I'm not talking about adding all or multiples, but just thinking of chosing 1 from this list if it would work well with what I already have. Thanks!

Why not got for a female red velvet? It's awesome how the males will show-off when there is a lady to impress in the tank.

That's just my 2 cents though.

I've thought about that Yote - I was just a little concerned that the male might kill the female because he's pretty established. What are the chances he will pair with her instead of kill her?

And I don't think I'm totally limited to just 1, at this point I could get away with a pair, but not sure about a trio if I still want to leave room for 1 more something. So I could get a pair of the other types to keep colors vibrant. As a side note, I've been impressed w/ how vibrant my red velvet has stayed w/o a female in the tank. I've seen him flash his colors when he gets pissed off at the basslet (which is usually just a short burst of chasing into the rocks then everyone is happy again). It would be cool to watch him with a female!

I've thought about that Yote - I was just a little concerned that the male might kill the female because he's pretty established. What are the chances he will pair with her instead of kill her?

This is going off what I've seen from the maintenance tanks that I've added a female after the male was established.
The male will usually start flashing almost immediately. Displaying to the female. He'll usually chase her for a while. Sometimes a couple of hours, other times for a couple of days. That's usually the worst part of it.
After a while, they'll usually settle down to the male flashing and displaying every little bit with very little actual chasing. The male will seem to be dancing around the female while she pays him no attention.

I've only had one instance out of 10 or 15 where the male actually got aggressive with the female and killed her. Can't explain why it happened in that one tank ( 250 gallon full reef ) cause I have no idea.

Thanks, Yote, that's helpful! I think I'll add a screen to the tank (ugh, had been avoiding that project) before adding a female given the amount of chasing that will be happening.

Back