WTF, My tank shot up to 88 degrees

fastrd400

It wasn't me!
So I came home from work this evening to find my tank temp at 88 degrees. I am running a chiller set to 79 and it has been running all day. I can't for the life of me figure out why my temp spiked like this. I turned off my MH and turned on a dual fan on the sump and hooked up a oscillating fan blowing at the open stand and canopy. Anyone have any clue as to what may have caused this?:frustrat:

The chiller has been running since this morning, which I thought was odd. The chiller is a stand alone, drop -in, with the temp prope in the tank. The house was warm today, but not that freaking hot.

Is the cooler vents plugged up with dust? Also, is it actually cooling? The compressor on it could be shot, it could have a coolant leak.

No, the vents are vacuumed every time I vacuum my house, so they are super clean. I stuck my hand in the sump and grabbed the coil, squeezing it I can feel it getting cold, but touching it not so much. I'm thinking of pulling it out of the sump and exposing the coil to air to see if it will frost up.

I just pulled the coil out of the sump and it got nice and cold. I'm also running 2 Mag 9.5 return pumps. Is it possible that one or both have gone bad?

i hate it when that happens. my system acctually heats up the room its in to about 80 degrees or more. i usually keep the fans on in the room to keep it cool. lately ive had a family memeber that thinks leaving fans running will burn the house down. so i came home the other day to find a sauna. Dont know much about the chillers though

Do you have a heater in the tank? It's not all that unusual for a heater to get stuck on.
I thought of that as well. Pulled it out, submerged it in the sink and pluged it in. It seemed to work fine. Though when I put it back in the sump it turned on at 71 when I turned the dial, and went back off at 67 as I rotated it the other way.

my heater is a tricky it fluctuates to slowly to stay and observe. probably b/c i didnt have enough flow in my tank. that made it difficult to keep watch over. hope you get it sorted out. if its not one thing its another

it appears as though the fact that I left the stand and canopy closed with no ventalation was what caused it. I have since installed a dual fan on the sump and am leaving the stand doors open. It's running a nice 79 degrees right now and has not moved all day.

Back