Wtf

Kwater

Chill
ok, this is new, i just noticed this little shrimp about a hour ago. ok i have a good sized acropora colony and in that colony was 2 acro crabs, now i have noticed that there is a little (but slightly larger than the acro crabs) green shrimp. it appears to live in the coral. it is green like i said and somewhat see through, is it bad, good, or harmless. thanks for all help.

dcan, if it is that shrimp it would only be able to live in freshwater.... we had those in our freshwater tanks at the aquarium... we had those ones and red ones and if you put them in salt they died pretty quickly :dunno: i don't think its those?

Lime Green Mantis Shrimp, Saltwater Invertebrates | PetSolutions

sure its not one of these mean greenies? if its one of these, get it the heck out! LOL
This was my first thought also,good call....
I hope for his sake its not

Duh! Good point Sharlie. :lol: I thought I had a saltwater critter there. However I was really going for the look of the shrimp. Shrimp vs. Mantis Shrimp.

theres a few different things I can think of... most of which are isopods:

creepyeyes%5B1%5D.JPG

first being a mantis shrimp, which you don't want to keep... trust us

GrnArthropodW-Antennae.jpg

this is like a mystery isopod, not really sure what they are but I've seen em pop up in monterey from time to time and they seem okay

and excuse my crappy drawing of the last one... I can't remember its name for the life of me or find a picture soooo this is what I could come up with. If it is one of these they are algae eaters and okay to have. They look sorta like a rollie pollie bug and swim pretty fast in the water... they have mini feather like things on its butt :p and lots of little swimming legs... they can grab onto you and they hang on real tight with lil mini claws on their legs

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 203
thanks for all the replys. :) would a babby mantis shrimp live in a acropora??? another observiation i noticed about it was that the claws are allmost as big as the body and they are somewhat far away from the body too. its kinda a long and slick creature. but if it is a mantis shrimp when will i know and when do i need to start worring about it???

looking closer at the mantis shrimp and the one i have i dont think it is a mantis shrimp, the bodies just dont seem to match, it looks like a mix of a lobster and a shrimp, the claws and body shape are actually quite diffrent too.

now a pistol shrimp is a possability, i never even though of that :). but im still stumped why it would live in my acropora, just for safty or comfort???

Hey,

I've got a killer Stone Crab I'll lend out to anybody who has pests! He has cleaned up my tank and is now in solitary confinement in my sump. BAD Crab.

Attachments

• DSC02214.jpg
    DSC02214.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 210
Back