xenia growth

fishbait

I found Nemo
just some before and after pics of my xenia. this thing has grown amazingly after just one month.
007.JPG
009.JPG

the blue in the first pic is just a little trick photography. by accident. i guess the camera got a reflection of the actinics. the back side of his limbs or whatever you would call the little fingers, are a turqouise. escpecially when he's closed up.

thank yote. ive been quite proud of him since he's my first. i am amazed that they grow so fast. it's hard to tell in the pic. but he has nearly tripled in size just in a month.

I agree. My silver-tip xenia has done exrtremely well in my tank as well. I have never been able to keep pom-pom Xenia in my tank, although I have killed four different specimens in my day. I tried a frag of silver-tip and it has been doing great for a month. I have noticed visible growth within that time as well. Best of luck to you.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

thanks, for the advice john. i do need to invest a iodine test kit. i haven't found one at any pet stores. i guess i will have to order one online. i have been dosing on capful of reef iodide once a week since i run my protein skimmer all the time. per the advice of my lfs. i hope i'm not overdosing! are there any signs? such as sudden death of everything.

thanks for the info sasscuba. it seems like i have heard that before. i do a five gallon change about once a month, and top off appx. 1 gallon a week. do you guys think that's frequent enough? i don't have that much livestock right now.

In my 55 gallon I change 10% weekly and top off 1 gallon a day. But my tank is very heavily stocked. Judging from the pictures of your algae, I'd guess you have high nitrates and/or phosphates and larger, more frequent water changes can help to lower those.

I do anywere from 3 to 5 gal every other week, used to do every week 5 to 10 gal but I've been slacking lately.

yep, the hair algae has been a major pain in the a$$! i have to clean the intakes on everything about every 2 to 3 days. i cut back on the lighting and it has helped a bunch. as you can tell by the first pic it was way worse a month ago. i have been considering doing a 10 gallon water change instead of 5. it's time to change water this week, but i ran out of salt. been working to many hours to get to my lfs. it's about 40 minutes from where i live. he sells premix for 80 cents a gallon. i think i'm going to go that route. since ro water from wal-mart is 65 cents a gallon and then the cost of salt on top of that.

Fish,get yourself a sea hare.Them little water rabbits love hair algae,and cyno,and they eat it like its going outta style.

Back