Xenia help

Just did a 25% before you posted that. Because my salinity is high a tad, I just did fresh water....been conditioned and sitting for 4 days, had to warm it up in a bath though. Moved the Xenia frag to a more current place in the tank. Termp of the tank is 82F.
I was told not to mess with the temp so I am not going to. Unless there is a reason to.
still my coral looks well not so good. Shaz

i thought xenias did well in high nutrient situations
i read that they are excellent additions to a refugium, actually better than cheato, and will help reduce your nitrates

the bulb is a fits all 13 watt... 8 inches long by 2 inches wide guessing.
It is the standard bulb for eclipse system 12's.
A Compact flourescent lamp as they call them.
I dont think anything else fit in them...I blew a bulb and had to order a new one.

ummm...cant take the lid off of an eclipse, the lid/hood is the light and the filter.
so far I have to find better lighting, do a water change (which is already done) and what else to save my xenia? Pray? Shaz

got to remember this is only a 12 gallon nano...not a fancy 75 or 90 gallon tank I can only dream of haveing that kind of space someday.Shaz

ack none of those lights will fit into the eclipse spot where the bulb is....now what? Does eclipse make a high wattage bulb for salt water tanks? Thanks so far the xenia is hanging in there but it is still grey...the whole thing looks grey today. Shaz

not much you can do as far as i know unless you pull the top off the filters in them are not very good for salt tanks. but that is about your only option as far as i know.

Did you use R/O water with your water change? And you said that your PH is 7.8? I was told to maintain my ph between 8.0 to 8.4. Lighting is very important for corals and i agree that t5's are the ticket. i just read up on Parameters for this coral and it said the following: Temp 74-80, Salinity 1.023-1.025, PH 8.1-8.4. Hope this helps!!

Last edited:
i thought xenias did well in high nutrient situations
i read that they are excellent additions to a refugium, actually better than cheato, and will help reduce your nitrates

They do tend to do well in high nutrient tanks. But nitrites are not considered a nutrient in this hobby. Nitrites are a toxin, fatal to lots of animals even in very small concentrations.

The color is back in two of hte three stalks! Yey! The one that was completly grey is still off color but seems to have perked up a little. No I did not use RO water for my water change. I used declhorinated tap water that was sitting in a bucket for 4 days with a bubble stone airating it. They still are not pulseing like they should be though.
Not sure if I should do another small water change again tonight or not. The ph of the water I added last night was 8.2, comes out of my tap at 8.8 I have city water and it is very hard. Was wondering if I should direct feed it with some newly hatched baby brine shrimp?
Also I found this while doing a search for lighting...what do you think?
the current bulb in there is only 5,500k this one is 10,000k
https://02c6328.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11

The K only indicates the color of the bulb, so switching from a 5,500 to 10,000 won't give you any more light. It just means that the 5,500 is yellowish while the 10,000 is whiter in color. Also, xenia don't eat food like brine shrimp, so feeding it wouldn't help. They are primarily photosynthetic.

i have been reading the threads and I believe to have seen you write that your xenia are wilting and your water temp is roughly 82 degrees, I suggest lower your water temp.. I read an article somewhere stating that xenia in the wild do best around 76 and lower temps, they overwhelm an area and natures defense against a total abundacne of xenia is water temperature when the water temperature rises it kills off all xenia.. dunno if this helps but I tried lol

I am wondering if it was because I had a trace of Nitrites in the tank..the small water change really seemed to help. Not sure it is was just that or because of me adding hte trace elements. I heard that Xenia need iodine, and they didnt have the test for that when I got my water checked at foster and smith. I turned the temp down a little it is sitting at about 79 currently. I am going to do another water change today since I didint do one yesterday and see if I can get that ph up a bit without haveing to add anything in there. I will have to see what I can do about the lighting what is it exactaly that the bulb should have so I know what I am looking for...Shaz

Last edited:
You cannot just change the bulb. Any bulb you use will only change the color, not the strength of the lights. If you want to keep corals, you will have to get a whole new type of light. Changing the bulb makes no difference.

Back