Xenia Trouble Please Help!

bbobby041

Reefing newb
I have had my 24 gallon tank for about two months now up and running. I have had no problems, but this last week I added some button pollops and a xenia. The other corals are doing fine and the "purple" coral is spreading in the tank. My only problem is that my button pollops are closing and looking pretty bad. My Xenia looks like is becoming smaller and less active, as well as one of its "hands" has shriveled up. My tank is an "aquapod 24gallon" Temp is 78-80 all of the time, all my levels are fine, my alkalinity is a little low, but nothing major. Small calcium growth on the back wall. Nothing that seems out of the ordinary, but why are my corals doing this? Any Ideas??? (note: I have added a clown fish about the same time which is doing great)

Last edited:
Bobby what is this Purple coral you mentioned?

Can you post pics?

Also test
PH
Alk
Calc
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphate

And let us know your results.

In general Xenia is a poor shipper and can have a hard time acclimating, but once acclimated will grow well.

Hope this helps
Brandon

In response:

Purple Coral might not be called coral...but it is on my rock where my mushrooms are...bright purple and is spreading, I have seen pictures of it, seems that everybody is trying to get there's to grow.

PH is 8.1 and steady within .1
KH is running 160 or so
nitrate and nitrites are at 0

PHOS? I don't know how to check that? I am using the "all in one" test strip as well as one for amonia. Should I be using something else?

Thanks for the responses...

Casey B.

Last edited:
I think you are refering to coraline algea....

I would recommend getting a phosphate test kit and let us know the results or you could do a decent sized water change with RO water and see if that shows improvement.

Brandon

Same thing happened to my xenia a while back, they started shriveling up, then lost their "arms", they were just stumps. Then I saw my big blue damsel EATING them. Asked my LFS, they said they'd never heard of a blue damsel eating xenia. Then I saw him eating my mushrooms too. So I've held off on inverts because he's apparently a dangerous fish.

one or two things may occur, one is lack of iodine in a reef system. sometimes water parameters can trigger sudden changes in a 24 gallon tank.

remember that u only have a 24 gal. if a system, is having an issue of die offs of xenia's it might be the cause of low dose of iodine or you can use lugol solution.

remember to test your alkalinity "DkH", and your pH. by adding some caulerpa or "marco-algae to the tank can supplment the system with those remedies.

Message to Bifferwine

Damselfish is territoral fish, can be destructive to any coral, fish, and iverts, but reffering to xenia eating fish, when it does that it can also mean that those xenia's is going to melt. one or two ways for it to happen. one, lack of pH support range -> 8.2 to 8.3. when it drops drasticly over nite this can happen.
two. water changes .. take it slow not to slow, add it to the tank like a gentle pour.

try these. :bounce:

I have. and it worked.:^:

Thanks guys..:D :helm2: :helm2: :helm2:

Hi everyone.I couldn't let this one pass without putting in a cent or two.Like Bifferwine stated,I was having the same problem and find out that a blue neon damsel that i have for about three years is picking on my zenia and cought him picking on a couple of polips and leather coral.It has never done that before.I hate to take him out,he's one of my first sw fish and is about 4" long.Everyone says that they are reef safe but any fish can develope a bad habit.Next time i post i will have info of my tanks (150 gl mix and 25gl nano that i just started)btw love this forum.Never have to ask a question always find the answer that i need.Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Some times lack of iodine will cause xenia to shrink as stated above.If dosing iodine becareful not to over dose.Also the strips you are are good for quick check,but you look into getting some liquid test kits.nitrate,PH,Calcium,and Alk.If decide to dose iodine you should test for this also.The strip will tell you general hardness but that not a solid result for for a alk reading and 160 on thoose strip =low alk.You should bring the PH upto 8.3

Back