Xenon and Halogen puck lights on fuge

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I've had three tanks now and each time I saw anemic growth of my cheato. I tried many different lights (CPL 40 watts, 5000K 15 watts, LEDs, etc.) but these seem to cause very rapid growth. There is a halogen and a xenon version. I had three lights on my cheato but the moment I put one of these on it took off. They are small too. But they do run hot though.

black_xenon_puck.jpg

It just says "stolen image" can you post a link instead? I would be interested to try it. It is expensive?

Yeah, I grabbed the image and stuffed it in my pocket. (Kinda of stupid. If anything people might buy from the label in the image). Here's another. But seriously my cheato took off like crazy with these lights.

yhst-57698777434928_2237_105971929

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=203101595&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=203101595&ci_kw={keyword}&kwd={keyword}&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-203101595&ci_gpa=pla#.ULYTb2f4Igo

Last edited:
They run hot, I would be concered with that.

My Cheato was not growing either with the light shinning top down. So I move the light to the side of the sump and the Cheato is growing very good now. I dont think the spiral light had enough penetration in my set-up.

Good Luck

They run hot, I would be concered with that.

My Cheato was not growing either with the light shinning top down. So I move the light to the side of the sump and the Cheato is growing very good now. I dont think the spiral light had enough penetration in my set-up.

Good Luck

Don't get the puck lights near plastic. I've been careful with them and the heat never caused a problem. I had a spiral light on the side of my fuge too but the puck lights worked better.

xenon lights do run on the hot side. But the light they put out is awesome.
I use a flashlight with a xenon bulb when I'm hunting for those nighttime tracking jobs. Something about em makes red really stand out. Just never thought about using em for a fish tank.

xenon lights do run on the hot side. But the light they put out is awesome.
I use a flashlight with a xenon bulb when I'm hunting for those nighttime tracking jobs. Something about em makes red really stand out. Just never thought about using em for a fish tank.

Come to think of it, my halogen puck lights burned very hot but it seems the Xenons are not so hot.

It's been a long time since I've used any halogen bulbs/ lights that I know of. But from what I can recall, you are right and the halogen's burning hotter.

Got me to wondering how well xenon lights would work over my planted tank.

Back