xmas favia

Had it for about a month and it still hasnt grown any.....any suggestions on placement, flow, and feeding?

IMG_0029.jpg

I've got a couple of favia mine don't grow at an alarming pace either, It seems that the brighter colored corals always seem to grow a bit slower...or maybe it's like waiting for water to boil...

I have noticed a nice difference in my coral growth since I started adding phytoplanton every other day..It was recommended to me by my guy at the LFS. I've noticed a big difference in my coral growth in the last few weeks specifically my caps, candycanes, and zoas.. On the bottle it says do it for 8 weeks and check the difference in growth. Maybe some phyto will kickstart it's growth..Good luck

Do yours put out feeding tentacles after the lights go out? I have one (with bright colors) and it puts out tentacles like crazy. I stuff mine full of food. I bought it with 3 polyps, about 4 months ago. Now it has 8 polyps.

I had mine really high in my tank with a lot of flow (Neither optimal for favias. It looked really washed out whil eit was there but, somehow it has grown 8 new polyps in the past month and a half.

Your wish is my command. Here ya go. It cost me $25. it's a little bottle and highly concentrated, but you only put 1 drop per 50 gallons so it lasts longer than other phyto. Here's what I've noticed from use of it...

My caps are thicker, much more distinct color, and are growing much faster.
My candy cane coral is getting larger and adding heads
Xenia has grown and become thicker and taller
my zoas are growing and spreading
My favia (frag) is starting to hang over the edges of the rock (growing around the rock it's on)

When I bought it I would drop it in every once in awhile, and I didn't see any results, once I got on the every other day schedule it started working.

Lastly, EliWhitney just posted some pics of his coral growth...He had some fantastic growth, He was using phyto and coral frenzy. Here is Eli's time lapse..Pretty incredible

https://www.livingreefs.com/coral-growth-t28912.html

Kent Marine Products Phytomax

Last edited:
Forgive the n00b question... but you just drop it in? No target feeding?

Not a n00b question at all...It was on a frag thingy origanally for about 2 weeks, i then carefully took it off and glued it to a piece of LR. I have tried feeding it but nothing seems to stick to it at all and ive never seen any tenticals at all.

I pretty much target feed everything in my tank, my mandarian, my ricordia's, my polyps, my candy canes,my brains and my sun coral....my tank is SPOILED rotten and is alot of work lol:shock:

Thats a nice coral Dana. :Cheers:

I used to feed phyto at night. They have tentacles and will extend them at night. Turn off the skimmer for 24hrs or it will go apeshitbatcrazy and skim the phyto out as fast as you can put it in the tank.

Forgive the n00b question... but you just drop it in? No target feeding?

If you mean do you just drop the phytomax in?...yes, you don't target feed with it...it's very highly concentrated. You drop it into a high flow area (in front of powerhead) and let the current spread it around the tank.

For phyto - I used to just dump it in between the baffles in the sump. I'd take the sponge filter off the return pump and let it work it's way into the tank via the return pump.

Target feed the chalice with a turkey baster. If your fish rob it's food, grab yourself a 1 liter plastic bottle remove the label. Then cut the bottom out. Take the lid off and sink the bottle down so it covers the coral. Squirt the food into the top and replace the lid. The fish won't be able to get in and steal the coral food. Give it 30 - 45 minutes to eat before removing the bottle.

Ok prc so I went to the lfs and they had the phytomax but I really didn't wanna pay 30 dollars for it. So i got to comparing ingredients on other Kent products. I chose to buy phytoplex instead because it was cheaper and had the same ingredients minus one thing, citric acid.... All the other ingredients are the same just not as potent. Like protien for the one I bought is 0.4 and phytomax is like 2.7. Have you had any expierance with this stuff? Is it basically the same thing?

No don't have experience with it, but I was doing the same thing when I bought mine, I didn't want to pay $25 for it either...My guy said they're essentially the same exact thing except that the drops will last longer because it's so highly concentrated you have to put less in the tank.

Reviving a dead thread here, I have a couple of favias, I saw the tentacles come out of one of my favia today, NO idea what to feed it so I gave it some mysis and man it sucked it UP!!! I was wondering how your growth has been with that phytoplankton though??

I sold this piece a long time ago. I do have a war coral in my mantis tank which gets not enough light and fed rarely with slow growth. Ive never had leck with them really. Whether the flow amount of light ect idk... kinda like chalices..lol =(

Back