yay! I'm a coral reefer!

MamaJones

proud reefer!
We got our lights a few days ago...and I've been doing my research.
& Decided to get some corals, and cross into the wacky world of being a coral reefer! I got these tiny frags for beginners...I'm a start small kind of gal, I guess.

My new zoos...
newtank036.jpg

won't be stickin my hand on them any time soon after reading that other post from that other lady...whew! I read they have a posionous venom, but didnt' understand all the details til I read that!

Our little kenya tree:
newtank037.jpg

he was free, I don't know too much about them.

see, that hole in the rock, when we bought it, it had this huge aipstia on it (last night) at least an inch in diameter...last night I checked on them in the lunar light & saw a pep. shrimp picking at the rock...this morning, completely gone! Score!

Our mushroom:
newtank035.jpg

I have him in the top 3/4 of the tank...should I move him?

Then there are these two:
newtank039.jpg
newtank033.jpg

they looked much better last night at the LFS

One is a button polyp and the other is a star polyp...any suggestions on getting this critters out and looking good? cause right now, it's grim.

Nice to see your off to a start with corals. Everything looks good, just small. Mushrooms zoanthids and kenya trees should all spread fast in the right conditions.

The only type of zoanthid to watch out for is I believe the palythoa type of zoanthid. They can be dangerous to even handle by hand, however the zoanthus type are not near as dangerous to handle, so it depends on the type of zoanthid you have.

Congrats on the new corals!

I would move the mushroom down to the bottom 1/4 of your tank, they are lower light corals.

All of them look good though! Give them several days to fully open up.

10 bucks a frag, buy 3 get 2 free...I thought it was a good deal for my 1st ones

and I'll move that mushroom...and I wonder what kind of zoo it is (brown and orange...reminds me of my late grandma's couch)

nice! they look like they're in good shape and once they are all settled they will be fine. It usually takes a day or so for ours to relax and open up. Think of all the stress they went through being pulled from their tank, bagged, and then placed in your tank. I would want a rest too!

FYI, $10 a frag for the ones you bought is pretty pricey, not so once you throw in the buy 3 get 2 free part though. In the future though, be warned that a single mushroom (unless it's a rare color morph) shouldn't be more than a couple bucks, same with small zoanthid frags like the one you got. And kenya trees, those shouldn't be more than a couple bucks either.

well, that kinda irks me! And one of the polyps already fell off of it's frag base. I was going to go back there and trade them in...then this afternoon, Joe had gone in there and he came home with a whole bunch I don't even know what it is. Arrg!
I'll take pics once things open up. He did get some neat looking stuff...I just don't know what it is, so I don't know how to take care of it.
On the upside...the tank is looking so neat!

Sure, we'll be happy to ID things if you post pics! Can't wait to see what you guys got.

The polyp that fell off will likely reattach somewhere else and start a new colony there.

green star polyps can be rubber banded back to rock but zoo polyps have to be super glued down but that means you have to handle them and some people worry about zoos and palys. i have tons of different zoos and palys and other leather corals. Don't buy anymore kenya trees if you want anymore i have tons for free. pink star polyps (2 different kinds) and green star polyps.

All right, already! I mean I am addicted to this site, but I got a job, too :) I'm so tired from slinging beers last night, but I made some time to snap some pics... Joe brought these home and I'm not having too much luck at finding out what they are so I don't really know what to do for them:

My favorite:
newtank055.jpg

Do you see the worm on/in it? Do you think it's a good one? Hope so, cause the sucker will be nearly impossible to get rid of otherwise...it seems this coral is his home cause he came with it.

Then there's this mystery:
newtank050.jpg

There are the tubey things, then the swaying tree on the left...on the otherside of the rock...there are purple "spikes" coming from the coraline algae...nothing has came out yet though.

Then this rock is covered with polyps:
newtank047.jpg

I need to turn it upwards so it gets more light right?

Should I move this colony rock up so it get's more light?
newtank048.jpg

and then there are these button polyps:
newtank051.jpg

While I like Joe's picks, I wish if he were going to spend $$ on something he knew what it was first...and if he'd pick more color!

Any help with IDing these are greatly appreciated!:bowdown:

green star polyps can be rubber banded back to rock but zoo polyps have to be super glued down but that means you have to handle them and some people worry about zoos and palys. i have tons of different zoos and palys and other leather corals. Don't buy anymore kenya trees if you want anymore i have tons for free. pink star polyps (2 different kinds) and green star polyps.

Who doesn't like free, huh? How do you suppose I can get some frags? I read in another thread that "slash"-ers around swap a lot of frags and the rule is you have to frag it 3 times for other aqauarists. I like the give and take idea :bounce:

on a side note: the mushroom I have is so cool...I lowered him like Biff said and he is trying so hard to get off that little stool he's on. I wonder where he'll travel to.
I'm gonna get some epoxy, to glue those zoos to a spot, too b/c they are currently in the sand after falling off the rock I placed them on.

few slash members like when they give something free they want you to eventually give some of that frag when it grow out more to give some to others. we have had others on are forum get tons of free stuff and than a year later get out of hobby and try to sell everything at high prices and its kinda of aggravating when you give stuff for free or real good deals on equipment and the turn around and try to sell and make profit. Me and a few others trade coral for coral so no one spends anymoney economy is bad right now so we got to help each other out. I will get some frags ready for you and your husband and make sure you give some for his tank also, but give me a week or two so i can get some attached to some new frag rocks i got so they do not fall off and we can meet at a pet store over there or over here in illinois. Usually once everyone meets each other and you can see were not a bunch of weirdos we visit each others house to see each others tanks so you can get some good pointers on your setup.

The first picture is a goniopora (flower pot coral). It is considered one of the most difficult corals to keep. Most don't last more than a month or two in our tanks. Only a couple people on here have had success keeping them (myself not included!). Good luck with it, it is not considered a beginner coral by any means (tell Joe he should research the coral before he buys!!). Gonis will appreciate periodic target feeding of cyclopeeze.

The second is a cabbage leather. Easy, low to moderate light, no supplemental feeding needed.

The third one looks like green star polyps (GSP) that are closed up. It's hard to say for sure what it is without seeing the polyps.

Next is a zoanthid colony. They are relatively low-light corals, so they should be fine on the bottom or lower half of the tank.

Last are button polyps. Same requirements as zoanthids. They'll catch and eat pieces of food from the water though.

I have to work Thursday so that option is out. Thanks though!
I hope you're not a bunch of weirdos! ha ha ha--although I think we are :)

And even though we screw things up sometimes, Joe and I are in this hobby for the long haul...we can't imagine life w/o a fish tank, now! We don't watch TV anymore...our living room is lonely...we all hang out in the middle room, listen to old records and stare at the fish.

AND--- I walk by the tank and there's brown algae all over! crap! now we gotta buy some more salt so we can do a water change! hope my kids don't wanna go to college cause we've got saltwater fever!

The first picture is a goniopora (flower pot coral). It is considered one of the most difficult corals to keep. Most don't last more than a month or two in our tanks. Only a couple people on here have had success keeping them (myself not included!). Good luck with it, it is not considered a beginner coral by any means (tell Joe he should research the coral before he buys!!). Gonis will appreciate periodic target feeding of cyclopeeze.

should I keep her on the bottom? Maybe I'll take her back. Joe said he told the LFS guy..."remember the girl that was in here yesterday, well what can she put in her tank" We're def. not experts here....but that coral is the prettiest one we've got.
He is not a researcher: he's more like that's cool, I got 50 bucks, who cares if I know anything about it...the fish guy said I could buy it. Duh! who's gonna deny a guy with money in his hand.:frustrat: He doesn't ask questions either...I ask like a million questions (if ya'll couldn't tell from my posts!)

What about that "worm" any ideas?

I got some moving to do!

Back