Yay, some exciting news :P

Gdbyrd

life's a beach
Well, some bad news. I wasn't able to put my live rock in my tank Wednesday night. And it's because my wife and I were in the hospital welcoming our son to the world :P So now I'm a pappi x 2, lol.

BUT, my dad dropped the rock in my tank Thursday morning and after getting home and getting situated with the extra company I went ahead and gave it a go stacking it. Let me know what you think and/or if there are any needed improvements.

The tank is super cloudy because I had to reposition a bunch of stuff. The rocks are only 6-8" thick, it's a perfect wall going straight up in the middle of the tank. This should put me at about 1.75 lbs/gallon.

My worry is about stability. The bottom two rocks are pushed down as deep as I could get them into the substrate(about 4" deep). How do I know when it's stable enough?
SU1HMDAxNzQuanBn.jpg

First of all, CONGRATS! Some front on pics would help us assess the stacking job. Just jab at them a bit with your finger; if they stay steady, it should be good. If when you touch them and put some pressure on them, and they wobble like a bad jenga set up, you should probably rearrange. Make them lock together, using their shapes like tetris, and you'll be good to go!

Hey thanks a bunch guys! Super pumped, it's crazy how different kids are. From one to the other they're already very different.

To the tank, here's a front pic. I can poke at it and there's a little, little wobble..but it's hard to tell if its OK or not. It's stacked up a good 25". It was honestly a HUGE challenge to get it stacked the way it was. The two white rocks on the bottom are pressed in deep. A large piece is then laid across those two. The rocks under that little cubby are just dropped there in the sand and nothing's resting on them.

The picture int he corner is a 1st child original :D
SU1HMDAxNzcuanBn.jpg

Wow, didn't realize how vertical the tank was. I'd say in that case, since you basically are playing jenga with the rocks, I'd glue some of the bigger pieces together with epoxy.

Congratulations on the young-un:D

With the height of that tank,make sure your base rocks are on the glass bottom.All it'd take for a rock to bust the glass,is for some sand to get washed from under the rock.
But it looks great.

Thanks a bunch guys! It's been two years since our last and man it's a trip how you forget how much work they are, hehe.

The bottom rocks were put in after sand was in the tank. I pushed as much sand as I could out of the way, then put those in and twisted them a lot. I heard some scraping sounds and hit bottom. That's the absolute best I could do to get them down on the bottom. They are about 4" under the sand in most places.

When I push on the rocks on the top they wobble a little, but they will not tumble unless you do a lot of stuff to them.

I really want to avoid putty as much as possible, I hate making it permanent.

Back