Yay! :)

AnthonyTheNewbie

Reef enthusiast
So, I had my 10-12" GBTA in my Biocube for a few days. It was fully extended, and I didn't really like it, they are supposed to be more compact under the proper lighting. So, I moved it to my 55 under the 6 bulb t5 fixture. Within 20 minutes of being moved, it's tips started to look better, and five minutes after that, my B/W and Snowflake Clown started hosting it! Yaaay :mrgreen:

Keep us updated on how it does under the T5. My wife really wants one but I am hard pressed to pony up the cash for a 48" MH

By the end of the night it was compacted with the tips actually looking like a bubble tip nem should. Bad news though, the clowns trying to host it (It was never hosted before I got it) made it move to the side of the tank, and up the glass..... right to a power head. It's not totally decimated... but it's pretty bad. I got a 1 gallon tank inside my 55 holding it. I hope it comes back :frustrat::frustrat::frustrat:

I was going to say that not all bta stay in bubble form. I have yet to see mine go to bubble form yet. Dont feel bad, mine just moved thursday down about 3inches. Stayed in the exact same spot for 5 months and hoping the hole he was in was just to small. They are tricky creatures that change their minds and thats where they are going

When I bought my RBTA a few months ago it had long tentacles and after a week or so in the tank and my clowns finding it, it hid for several days and came back out all bubbley. So cool. Congrats on yours!

It started to fizzle out and smell horrible. I removed it from the tank before too much ammonia started to get into the water, and I did a 30pct water change. Had me really bummed out! But, I went out today to meet someone in the reefers club I'm in, and he sold me another GBTA that's like 4-6" for 30$. This time, I'm leaving the powerheads off for a while until it gets settled in. Once again, like 5 seconds after being put in, my clowns started hosting it. This one however, had a clown hosting it before I got it. So, it doesn't seem to mind too much. So far, it's been in the same position for about 3-4 hours. This one hasn't really bubbled at all. It sucks that the first one got sucked into the powerhead, it was so huge! And shortly after being put in the 55 the tips started to bubble up and everything. Dang clowns scaring it across the tank :grumble:.

Lesson learned though. I re-aquascaped so that the power head is much further away from the rocks then before. Thinking about getting some mesh netting to go around the PH to try and prevent this even more. Hate when stuff dies in my tank :frustrat:

i feel your pain lost mine to my power head as well. i would go with the mesh as the bta will climb the glass too witch i think is how mine got into it. good luck with your new bta and give it time it will get the bubble tips back

So, I don't think I took the first GBTA that I got (The HUGE one) out of the tank fast enough, or didn't do enough of a water change because two of my SPS completely bleached (Catspaw and a Purple Monti cap). A Emerald Crab, a Cleaner Shrimp, and a Scooter Blenny all died shortly afterwards as well. I had put the new GBTA in the 55 and noticed it started to shrivel up and almost suck in on itself. I removed it from the tank and put it in the 29g biocube in a plastic cup with some rubble in the bottom. It's been in there for about 5 hours now and it lt's opened back up almost all the way and it's base is no longer shriveled up.

Theeeenn, I picked up another GBTA that's probably about 7-8". It's in one of those fry cages (The box with the mesh netting for fish fry) acclimating to the tank before I let the clowns at it lol. So, after some deaths, finally managed to save something before it got bad. My tiny birdsnest frag's tips started to bleach a little as well. Hopefully it will improve with time. I didn't think nems could rot that fast :frustrat::frustrat:

that is the bad thing with nems they do and just keep changing your water like 15 to 20 % a day for a week that will help im so sorry for your lose best of luck with your tank is there any way you can move the rest oc your corals to another one of your tanks?

My Palys and Zoas in there are doing fine, no signs of any melting. All of my SPS besides two Acros are completely bleached out. The rest of my fish show no signs of any distress. So, pretty much just my SPS bit the bullet. So, 80, 30,25, 25, and a 20. And those are just the SPS and the Nems cost. Then 10 for the scooter, 25 for the cleaner, and 8 for the emerald crab. A grand total of 223$ worth of stuff lost. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

I maanged to save my LPS and Softies from the tank before they started to go. (One of my Candycane colonies was starting to bleach). And the 2nd nem has recovered in my biocube.

On a seperate note, in my 26g bowfront the Cyano algae is back with a vengeance and covered up a finger leather of mine and a zoa colony of about 100ish polyps. Both are compeltely covered and it doesn't matter how many times I manually remove it, it just keeps covering them again. I can't afford to move them over to the biocube, too many corals being held in there to have it spread there. And, I can't move them to the 55 for fear of them dieing quicker then the cyano kills them. Turning into a horrible week. Ignore the whole "Yay" at the beginning of this thread. :grumble:

I would suggest to run a uv light to clear up that bacteria. When building a reef system and getting fish, corals, and inverts from all over you will never know what they have. After your tanks have been filled then go ahead and shut it off. I know these things kill good bacteria too, but what kills bad bacteria? It is a fail safe and will help you get to your goals in your tank.

I don't think a UV light is going to make much difference. Get your nitrate and phosphates at 0, up your water movement in the tank and cut the lights for a few days. When you turn the lights back on do another big water change.
The other things aren't dying from the decomposition of the nem, what happened is the stinging cells got released when it went into the powerhead. Good luck with everything!

Last edited:
Tried that already Chichi, I even used the red slime remover. I talked to my LFS in dover and he said something about it bonding with the sand (the calcium carbonite or something to that effect). I may just tear it down, scrub everything really well, get new sand, and start it over (re-using the water column). I have other tanks I can house the clowns and sixline in.

Yeah, he said if it didn't work the first time, it'd be a waste to try it again. So, I tried once, waited three days, did a 50pct water change, and nothing happened. So, I'll just tear it down and start over. It's only a 26g, not that big of a hassle at least lol

Yeah, it was expensive as hell. My foxface showed some signs of distress, so he's been moved to the 26g bowfront. I have seaweed growing in there (live) and a ton of algae build up everywhere (mainly from neglect) so he's been doing better. All of my SPS have bleached, but, the rest have recovered and are doing fine (the candy cane hasn't continued bleaching, thank god!). Both of my GBTA are doing much better. I had them in those fish fry nets things inside my biocube. This time though, I introduced my clowns to one inside the net. This way, it could get use to them hosting it before I let it free in the tank. No more PH episodes anymore. I'm going to give my 55 another couple of weeks to settle out before I move the larger GBTA into it. Fortunately, through all this, my 55 is pretty much empty with the exception of a couple of favias, and some palys/zoos. Now, I can do a mainly SPS dominated tank! And the Biocube and 26g Bow can be for LPS/Softies :). Gota find the silver-lining or I'll cry lol >_>

yeah i know when my nem went thru me power head i sweating bullets but i didnt have any corals in my tank well im sorry for the lose you did suffer but it sounds like the worst is behind you now good luck with everything

Back