Yay! :)

Yeah I've got a LTA under t5's and its doing amazing. Clowns treat it like a sleeping bag lol. From what i've read the whole "when an anemone dies it releases tons of chemicals" is actually an old wise tail and nothing like this actually happens. I've used red slime remover as well before and i've had no negative effects on any corals.

Last edited:
Yeah I've got a LTA under t5's and its doing amazing. Clowns treat it like a sleeping bag lol. From what i've read the whole "when an anemone dies it releases tons of chemicals" is actually an old wise tail and nothing like this actually happens. I've used red slime remover as well before and i've had no negative effects on any corals.

They don't release "chemicals", they CAN release nematocysts(their stinging cells), especially if they get chopped up by a powerhead.

My problem wasn't it releasing chemicals or anything like that. It was it slowly rotting away in my tank and releasing ammonia. That's where my losses came from. I should have moved it to a seperate tank to try and treat it. Instead, I put a 1gallon tank INSIDE my 55 gallon tank to quaratine it, and it faded away, leaving a huge ammonia spike. So, of course, all the sensitive stuff went first. So yeah, no chemicals or stingers were sent out (at least to my knowledge). Just good ol' fashioned ammonia.... which is certainly bad enough lol.

if it got sucked into a powerhead I am sure some nematocysts were what caused the first wave of death.

Anemones don't just nuke a tank when they die, they will rot, as you mentioned, and cause an ammonia spike/cycle or their demise (i.e. meeting a powerhead) causes the tank to crash.

Well, got rid of the ammonia finally. Took three 50% water changes over three days. A couple of my buddies in the New Jersey Reefing group are going to hook me up with some new SPS frags in a couple of weeks, once I feel the tank is completely safe. Man, what a nightmare that was lol >_<

Well, got rid of the ammonia finally. Took three 50% water changes over three days. A couple of my buddies in the New Jersey Reefing group are going to hook me up with some new SPS frags in a couple of weeks, once I feel the tank is completely safe. Man, what a nightmare that was lol >_<

glad to hear you getting your tank back in order

Back