yellow angel not eating

benningtondt

Reefing newb
I recently bought a yellow angelfish at my lfs. I've had it for a week and i've tried many frozen foods, and algae sheets and just doesn't seem interested at all. It will nip at some algae on live rock,but there's not much there. I did notice some white spots on him and another fish and got some "reef safe" treatment. The spots disappeard rather quickly though and it may have just been sand. If any one has had similar problems, any info would be great!

Try treating the food with garlic to help it to get to eating.
Also those reef safe meds don't do a whole lot as far as treating fish diseases. Keep an eye on them. Do you have a QT?

no QT, but could set a temp one. I have around ten 10 snails and 1 cleaner shrimp, i thought maybe if i got a copper based and used a lower dosage it may not kill the inverts, but it may not save the fish either.

Not a good idea to treat the main tank as the copper will "soak" into the live rock, sand, etc.. and will stay in your tank for a very long time. It will also kill you live rock, too.

How many fish would you need to QT? If it's just two and you can keep the parameters similar to the tank, you should be ok, but remember that QT should take like 8 weeks or something like that...if you can find a cheap tank on craigslist or even at petco/petsmart or something, you would be better off than a bucket I would think

well there are 6 fish in the tank, it would probably be best to QT all of them wouldn't it. I'll take a look at craigslist to see if i can find something to reasonable. None of my fish however have been rubbing against things, or have any other symptoms of ich exept the 2 fish with temp spots and the angel not eating.

all mostly peaceful fish tomato clown, royal gramma, sixline wrasse, lawnmower blenny, diamond goby. I have not noticed any aggression between any of them. So i doubt that is the cause.

I would consider getting a UV light for in the future.

As for the fish not eating, it's just a bad sign all together. I hope it starts eating, but many times once they stop then they never start again.
If it does start eating then soak it's food in garlic and let it fight off the ick on it's own since you don't have a QT.

Last edited:
How about some water test results. One thing you have to remember about ich is that when it falls off it goes to the substrate and over 200 little one come from each parasite. So just because they fall off does not mean they are gone.

Its just a yellow pygmy angle. aka false lemonpeel, heralds angel.

"Centropyge heraldi"

Hopefully you will be able to get him to eat. That is a hard to keep angel, that usually doesn't adapt well to the aquarium.

As daughter mentioned you should try emerald entree and some algae's as well as some mysis shrimp. with some garlic to help intise his appetite.

ya, just because a fish isn't showing signs of ich, doesn't mean that its not carrying it. If one fish has it, they all have it, and they all need to be quarantined. Plus, since you do have 6 fish, it would definitely be better to go to a tank as you do not want to stress out the sick fish anymore than they already are in a small, confined, and cramped space. However, take a look at some of the articles on this site regarding ich, there are a few things you can do before having to resort to putting them in quarantine like turning off the lights for two days, then keeping them on for the next two, lowering the tempreture, garlic, cleaner shrimp...all kinds of stuff.

I have tried emerald entree, it just took one bite then spit it out and ignored the rest. I think tm i will get some garlic flavoring to try and entice him. I have tried brine but not mysis shrimp alone. It was in some of the frozen food preparations though.

All my water tests have been perfect or near perfect. Im using ich attach and doing frequent water changes around 30%. Its t early to tell wether its really helping or not though.

I have tried emerald entree, it just took one bite then spit it out and ignored the rest. I think tm i will get some garlic flavoring to try and entice him. I have tried brine but not mysis shrimp alone. It was in some of the frozen food preparations though.

All my water tests have been perfect or near perfect. Im using ich attach and doing frequent water changes around 30%. Its t early to tell wether its really helping or not though.
i used ich attack when my coral beauty got ich. Sorry to say it didnt work. I hope you have better luck. I went ahead and installed a uv just to help prevent anything further.

Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon problem with those fish. They are very challenging to keep and usually do not live long in our tanks.

Back