yellow carpet nem?

Beta173

Reefing newb
my nem has been pretty shy this last month. he has been hiding behind my rocks out of site out of the light. at one point i thought he may have died. but today he came out moved all over the tank and found a spot right out in the open. he looks great but he won't eat.

nomally i wouldn't care but i have not fed him in a month or so.

does anyone know what to look for if he is sick?

To me he looks just as he did when i got him from the LFS, except his foot used to be redish orange and now it is more yellow.

water is good.

ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 0ppm
ph 8.3
calcium 480

the only variation this last month has been calcium levels. I test every week.

what is your lighting, how long as the tank been set up. nems dont need to be spot fed so dont worry about that, and a nem moving around is never a good sign, it means that isnt happy

the lights are good 250 watt MH and 2 65watt campact flor. actinics. I have had the nem around 5 months. he has been totally happy untill the last month.

right now he is sitting on a rock with his mouth gaping open, kind of strange.

right now he is sitting on a rock with his mouth gaping open, kind of strange.[/quote]

That is usually a bad sign, every time I have seen a nem do this it was just about dead.

so if my nem dies, what is this going to do to my system?, will it crash? should I get some water going to have on standby? the nem is only about 3" -4" across. and my system is only about 37 gallons.

get a lot of water change water on standby, also if it dies it will crash the system so you need to get it out immediately after it dies

How much flow do you have in the tank?And have you changes the flow any at all?Added any new rock or corals that may have changed the flow?
I tend to disagree with not feeding anemones.Even though they get most of their energy from light,they still need to be fed.But a month without food isnt going to starve one to death.
If you can remove the anemone from the rock with just a little gentle pressure,that is a good sign that its dying.And it would be in the best intrest of your system to remove it before its completely dead.

no changes in flow, I did get a 6 spot goby that made an unbelievible mess with the sand about a month ago but it was only for a week or so.

well he is still alive and looks pretty good, just droped him some mysis hopefully he will eat it before the cleaner shrimp finds out.

Back