Yellow Devils Hand

Tank

Reefing newb
I just picked one up last night. The LFS admitted they just recently stocked it. I doesnt really bother me to buy leathers from THIS store on impulse. But at the time i forgot to ask if these things will show polyp extension? By the looks of it i would guess they do, I hope it will cuz if not they definately get my vote as the ugliest coral in the hobby.

I keep it in strong flow med light. I can move it up later if it needs more light. I feed frozen cyclopeez, and target feed the softies with dt's 1-3 times per week depending on how lazy i am. That should work for him eh?

Most of the ones Ive seen ,have little white polyps when there open,Gives a kinda feathery look.
As for flow and light,I would think that being a softy that it would need more of a medium flow with medium to high lighting.
Either way,good luck with it.

No need to target feed it really,there definitely show polyp extension but it make take awhile for it though,Leathers are finicky like that.
Congrats on your purchase

yote said:
Most of the ones Ive seen ,have little white polyps when there open,Gives a kinda feathery look.
As for flow and light,I would think that being a softy that it would need more of a medium flow with medium to high lighting.
Either way,good luck with it.

I can cut back on the flow..ill wait on the light for a couple days though. Thanks...

reeffreak said:
No need to target feed it really,there definitely show polyp extension but it make take awhile for it though,Leathers are finicky like that.
Congrats on your purchase

I know, but im a food pusher..Thanks!

My leather is doing fine after two months in medium flow and what I guess is medium light (about 4 watts per gallon). It shows polyp extension, but one every couple of weeks it shrivels up and sheds an outer layer of "skin." The frequency worried me at first, but it turns out that some leathers are just like that (and some hardly do it at all). So, don't freak out when it starts to shed - totally normal.

It took my leathers a bit to adjust as well. When I first added a fiji leather I stupidly placed it near a finger leather thinking it would be a good neighbor. After moving them away from each other and each with med flow and medium light to help wash off the skin they shed they are doing great. It's still a little alarming to see them all shriveled up sometimes though but then they shed and pop back open. Took a few weeks for the fiji to completely adjust to it's new home.

Back