Yellow eye tang

Cottonwood

Lets move to Basketball..
A guy on craigslist in flagstaff had a yellow eye tang (Im guessing kole tang?) and two convict gobys he said he needed to get rid of. I emailed him and he sent me a picture on my phone of the tang but its hard to see. He said I could have it free, its already in a plactic bag. Thig is I'm working until 11pm tonight. A friend of mine is going up to get it for me (I gave him $20). But I wont be able to get it in my tank until I get home...around 11:30pm. Think it will make it that long? What can I do to help ease its time in the bag while Im at work? I'll do a long acclimation in a bigger tub and keep it dark...Ive wanted one for a while so I hope this works out well. :sfish:

It will be perfectly fine in the bag for a few hours until you get home. Just be sure to acclimate slowly and you'll be good to go. Then all we need next are pics.

I'll put some on here. The guy said he was going to a reef tank so he wanted to get rid of the tang and the gobys...maybe he meant something else..Im eager to see it!

It'll be fine in the bag, they spend more time in the bags when you buy fish from online vendors. Yea, that doesn't really make sense to me that he's getting rid of them to start a reef tank.

Ok so I have the fish. In the bag it looks a little brownish yellowish color. Cant wait to get it home and in the tank. Only about 4.5 more hrs of work :grumble:

I know I should...but I dont have a set up to qt right now... I havent before and I have fish from multiple places, so my tank has what it has in it. Just hope its nothing that will get to this guy too bad. Ill keep a close eye on him though.

So he was breathing kinda hard, so I opened the bag a put more air in it a bit ago. I just went back to check on him and he is dead in the bag! I am so bummed....Im not sure how long they had him in it or what...so bummed right now!

I was excited because Ive been wanting to get one...I wonder how long they had it in the bag...wish I didnt have work, cant help but think if I got it home and into some fresh water it would have been ok...

Sorry man ,that stinks...
not sure if being in the bag for too long did it though.....they ship fish in bags ,and there in them for 24-36 hours,maybe longer

Yeah, I've read that they pump in pure oxygen in the bags. Plus maybe the temp swings stressed him out. Then there's also the likelihood that the tang was already not healthy.

I got a Kole Eye a few weeks ago, and he's an awesome fish. It really does suck that yours died. :(

Here is what might have happened:

When the fish are in the closed bag the ammonia they release lowers the pH of the water which makes the ammonia less toxic, but when you open the bag the oxygen can now react with the stuff in the water, raising the pH making the ammonia more toxic. Which if the fish was already stressed might have killed him.

Back