Yellow Headed Jawfish MIA...

tizapolgar

Zymurgist
I know, I don't post much...but rest assured that I lurk like a mofo :mrgreen:

So...I got this jawfish. Looked very healthy, I acclimated him slowly, so on and so forth. Then, I put him in the tank.

He immediately hides in the rock work. And...I haven't seen him in like two days. There's been some digging going on back there judging by the sand piles behind a rock, but no so much in the last 18 hours or so. I'm worried he got ate :(

I've never had a jawfish before...are they usually extremely shy at first, or is he weird...or do you think he's dead? I've been wanting one of these guys for a year!

Oh, it's covered. I checked for a jumper.

In the tank - two false percs, and a mixed assortment of corals. I have 65 watt PC over 25 gallons, and another crappy light for a total of around 80 watts, so I don't keep any SPS or anything, except for one that was a gift a year ago that is miraculously still alive.

So, back on topic - nothing that I would suppose would eat him is in the tank - the two percs are all that I've ever had in it.

Yeah nothing in there that would eat him. They're not *usually* shy fish, but I would give him a few days before you write him off. Sometimes fish seem to die for no reason :(. If you don't see him for another three or four days, then I'd say he's probably a goner. Sorry.

Yeah, it happens. It bums me out though, because he was definitely digging back behind a rock. He could still be there, but I just wonder because I've seen lots of them in various tanks and they've never been shy. :frustrat:

No ammonia spike, either...so I guess that's a good sign.

Oh, and in case anyone wonders, parameters are all good - right where they should be. I tested today :mrgreen:

Good news! He's alive!

My wife just saw him (moving :) )in the reflection off the back wall of the tank by looking through the side - he's just built his borrow behind a rock facing the "wrong" way.

I'm hoping that he'll get hungry and change locations, because he is not in a prime spot for snagging mysis in the flow, and it's an impossible place to target feed. We shall see, I guess.

Good to hear!! I'm glad you found him. Isn't it annoying when you add an animal to your tank and they decide they want to live somewhere that you can't even see them??

Yeah! And I'm like, "dude, fish! This is only a 25 gallon tank, and you had to pick the one spot that isn't visible. Loser. You'd better eat."

...because I talk to my fish...

Yeah! And I'm like, "dude, fish! This is only a 25 gallon tank, and you had to pick the one spot that isn't visible. Loser. You'd better eat."

...because I talk to my fish...

Rest assured,your not the only one.:mrgreen:

Since your jawfish has made his borrow BEHIND your rock,Thats most likely where he'll stay.
Look on the bright side though,at least he didnt decide he wanted to live in the overflow which is where my mandrine has decided to live.

Well, to my surprise I checked the tank this morning and immediately saw a blur of a fish darting into the rock. I then noticed a new pile of sand under, around (and partially covering) a small rock covered in GSPs.

Apparently Mr. Jawfish has decided to build a new home up front! He must have realized his old home's zero potential for food float-by :) I just hope I didn't accidentally scare him back to his old rock pit.

He seems very timid, but I'm hoping over the next few days he'll lighten up a bit as he becomes used to my ugly mug staring in every hour or so :mrgreen:

Back