Yellow polyps / turbo snails

Jimbo662

Reefing newb
One of my turbo snails constantly crawls over the rock my yellow polyps are on. The last week or so I've noticed their number dwindling. Do turbo snails eat polyps or do you think since it's crawling over them they're getting dislodged? I never see my emerald crabs near them or any of the other snails. I've also got blastomussa wellsi and clove polyps and nothing ever goes near them.

I don't think the snail is dislodging them. They are likely breaking off and floating away themselves -- which is what soft corals do sometimes. I'm not sure there is much that you can do -- they will go where they want.

I have to disagree with the experts here. They have taught and are teaching me tons and I appreciate that. In this instance though, through my own experience, I would say the turbo is taking out you polyps.

I had a similar situation not too long ago. Posted about it and it was suggested I likely had a hitch hiker taking them out. I spent hours on end, at night, with a red light and the only thing I ever saw near my polyps was the turbo snail. I no longer have any yellow star polyps.

Now its possible that I missed something, or that something else killed them off. Heck, maybe my tank is so bad that I killed them. I don't feel thats the case, but its possible. Keep an eye on the turbo. Just to be sure.

One thing I've learned in this hobby is, "anything is possible". Generally turbo snails don't eat corals, and are truly herbivores. They could also become scavengers and eat dying, rotting things...but it could be possible to get that one rogue snail. This hobby never ceases to amaze me. Or maybe, it isn't turbo snail in the first place, but a predator snail that's imposing as a turbo. :)

I may try some escargot tonight! I just watched the large snail crawl right through the middle of my clove polyps!!! there are 8-10 missing and you can see several others damaged! These stupid things may go back to the LFS this weekend!

Well, I was TOLD they were. I'm not a Marine Biologist so I must take the word of others. As far as I can tell, from pictures on the web, I have Mexican Turbo Snails. Since I don't have algae, maybe mine were just hungry?

Back