Yellow Polyps

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
Are they stupid?

I bought a small rock with 2 small yellow polyps. Each was about 1/2" tall with a body the size of a pencil lead. In less than a month, they've both sprouted new polys and tripled their original size.

I'm thinking, "Kinda cool!"

And then I was reading some other stuff on the net where a lot of people seam to view these polyps as a weed. Sort of the dandelion of reefs.

Whats your opinion?

Here they are:

IMG_0176.JPG

Yeah, those and green star polyps. A lot of people have a hard time controlling their growth and say that they tend to just take over rocks. Which limits where you can put more valuable corals. If you like them, that's great. I love my green star polyps, and yes, they do spread like crazy. I'm sure I'd hate them real fast though if they started covering more than their own little rock though.

They aren't the traditional green star polyps that your thinking of. These are just plain old "banana" yellow polyps.

Ohhhh. Gotcha.

I dunno, I guess I'm either a total noob idiot or easily entertained. :shock: I like them. There isn't a lot of bright yellow stuff, that's easy to care for, that you can put in the tank.

i like them, if they start over populating sell them for frags.frags = money= anything you want

As hard as this is for me,I'm going to agree with Hibye.
A rock with enough polyps on it can pay for some the more expensive corals you may want.

Those yellow polyps are closer related to anemones than true corals.Some people even consider them colonial anemones.Probably why Peppermint shrimps will eat those as if they were like the pest anemone,aiptasia.If you don't want them to spread keep the rock they are attached to from touching any rock.

i like em i got a small rock of them i keep them in sand bed to keep them contained otherwise they could spread real quick.

Back