yellow tang! bad or not?

i have two clowns that r fine a flame angel, a blue hippo and two other fish that i dont know what are cause a friend gave them to me. i will check stuff now

He may be fighting with the other tang, especially since their scalpels are located at they're tails...but we'll definitely need a pix of the other fish, so we can identify them.

First things first - detectable Nitrite is bad - so you need to start with a water change to get the Nitrite out of the system. It doesn't matter what your fish is dealing with, dectecable Nitrite is going to compromise its immune system and make it far more difficult for the fish to fight off whatever its dealing with

If you answer every question we ask with 'fine' or 'normal' you need to realize that there really isn't any help that we can offer you

Lets start at the beginning..
Temp?
Salinity?
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
Ph?
All other inhabitants?
Everyone else is acting okay?
Any new livestock?
Any new equipment?
Any changed / serviced equipment?

On a side note, photos are also very helpful in determining what is going on. If you can't get a photo of your actual fish, try to find a photo of another fish with the same condition and post it online

+1 north....The presence of nitrite means there was ammonia not long before. Some fish are more sensitive than others. How long have you had the yellow tang?

we recently put a new light on the tank, would that do it? everything else we have had for a long time and have all been doing great until he started turning red. we have had the yellow tang for 8 or 9 months. i found a picture of a tang with what looks like the same thing but ours isn't as bad. i will try to post the link to the picture because i don't know how to post a picture on here... http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54899&d=1180481460

The tang in the photo that you posted doesn't look that bad to me personally, it looks like he has some slight discoloration but not anything that I would see as severe

Is your tang still eating and acting normal?

yes he is eating fine now and acting fine. the first day or two that i noticed the red he was withdrawn from the other fish and not really eating... the reddness is about the same though.

Back