yellow tang eating

Greenman

Reefing newb
I recently got a yellow tang. Really small about 3 inches. I cannot get him to eat any of the food I put in my tank. I've had him 2 days now. He picks at the rocks non stop. How long should I wait till I need to worry.

I wouldn't worry yet since it is grazing. What are you trying to feed it? Are you feeding it algae? If you are putting algae on a clip it can take a little time for it to warm up to it. Any time I add a new tang I always take a piece of algae and roll it between my fingers underwater. This will break it up in small pieces and allow the power head to blow it about the tank. This gives the shy tang an opportunity to catch some.

Yellow Tangs are Herbivores mostly. Get a clip and some dried algae/seaweed.

Live Aquaria said:
Although the Yellow Hawaiian Tang will eat meaty foods along with the other fish in the aquarium, it is important the Yellow Hawaiian Tang is offered plenty of marine based seaweed and algae. This will strengthen its immune system, reduce aggression and improve overall health. Offer dried seaweed tied to a rock or use a veggie clip, and feed at least three times per week. Sea Veggies, Seaweed Salad and Ocean Nutrition are all ideal products and are very easy to use.

Some times yellows are a bit scared of the clips if they haven't seen them before. I tied seaweed sheets with rubber bands to a couple of rocks out my sump and put them in the tank. Eating in no time at all. Natural grazers, think they liked being closer to the bottom of the tank. Give it a try.

Back