Yellow Tang Feeding

dankolle

Reefing newb
I have a baby yellow tang and I want to make sure it gets enough food. So like a rood reefer I put dried Nori on a veggie clip (and sometimes rubber banded to a rock) and the tank becomes very violent and actually rips the nori apart eats some of it, and the rest ends up impaled on a power head intake or the overflow. How do I keep the nori from tearing so easily?

I take a part of a sheet and fold it in half. The tangs and the angels still manage to rip it apart, but less of it ends up in the tank, and more if it is eaten by the tangs

I've tried that :/ I'm only feeding him about 1" x 3" sheet of it. I'm also cutting "slits" in it about the same size as his mouth to help him chew it better and thats not helping either.

maybe try a smaller piece. Still lose some to the power heads and the overflow, but thats what the CUC is for. I try to put a small piece in about every three days and the rest of the time you can see mine picking at rocks and the back glass. when I put mysis in the tank every other day with some oyster eggs, he goes crazy for that too.

all my fish:
1 mandarin
diamond goby
small yellow tang

Yeah he eats the "normal" food too, but I guess what I'm concerned about is the nori decomposing and causing issues with my levels.

if you have an adequate CUC and a fuge with cheato or a scrubber i don't see why there should be an issue as long as its not the whole sheet ending up in the tank

I tried the frayed nori tactic for a while but found like are that its just too messy. Leave it uncut and you'll have better success

I take a piece and fold it 2 or 3 times so it's thick, and I clip it at the unfolded sides, so that the folded sides are flowing around. Can't you just find the least turbulent part of your tank to put it on?

Back