Yellow Tang, Flame Angel Diet

blazk

Reefing newb
I have a question about both the yellow tang and flame angel's diets. I feed a variety of foods to my other fish inc. Live brine, Frozen Brine and Flakes. I'm curious to know what should i feed the above two fish? They seem to just pick at the live rock. I know they are plant / algae eaters, am i suppose to get seaweed or something along those lines? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for Reading.

Seaweed clip would do the trick, they come in various types but they would find the nutrition they're looking for.

Get your tang some japanese Nori seaweed sheets from your grocery, its cheap and they LOVE it. If flame angels are like other pygmy angels, they will like a variety of foods--like pellets/flake, mysis, vegetable matter, macro algae, sponges, etc. Most angels eat lots of sponges in the wild from what I understand.

Seaweed sheets can be found at your LFS and your run of the mill pet store probably even carries it too. Veggies are the most important part of the tang's diet.

Everybodies got you covered on the diets.
And you really should get away from using the flake foods.Flakes and pellets contain ash and ash is just basically phosphates.So not really good for your water quality.

Stupid question, is seaweed a vegetable ?
I bought some sea weed from the LFS i put it in there, they seem to be still occupied with eating my live rock which i don't mind too much as there is plenty of it (algae that is). Hope they go for it, dont really want to see the weed take over the tank :D. I will try the Local Asian Grocery just a few houses down from me see if they have any seaweed sheets. How do i go about feeding them the sheets?

Last edited:
I used to just put a quarter sheet in the water and the tang and angels would chase it around. The fancy way is to buy a clip attached to a suction cup and put it in that, so the tang has a food source in the same place to graze on. The stuff at the LFS is basically the same as the grocery store kind, just 3x the price b/c there's a picture of a fish on the wrapper and it came from the fish store. One fish store out here sold the same stuff the Japanese market RIGHT NEXT DOOR had for way more. Whatever you can find will work

I found some sea weed paper $1.99 like a 1 min walk from my house, guess its good living in a Asian area. I have a curious question though. I cut out a quarter folded it and rigged up a bobby pin to a suction cap, works a treat. My question is is the bobby pin toxic to the water / fish.
Here is a picture of what a bobby pin is.
300px-Bobby_pin.jpg

Thanks for reading.

In the short term,the pin probably wouldn't hurt.Personally,I would avoid any metal in saltwater.Even stainless steel rust easily around saltwater.Fine a veggie clip from the LFS.

they are some good ideas thanks all, the pin is gone today. I might try and find something similar to a bobby pin (hair pin) but plastic and net. Thanks all for your coments and input.

Ive had the best luck feeding nori by folding a quarter sheet in half then cutting it like spaghetti with the algae clip.

The bobby pin won't hurt anything, even if it starts to rust.
Just a little note. If the algae sheets are toasted, they are useless, nutritionally, to the fish. Look for dried nori, not toasted. Most of the Asian food store stuff is toasted.

Back