Yellow Tang Ich

Yellow tang has some black spots - Should i Leave him alone or quarantine him?

• Leave the fish alone

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Quarantine!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cthegame

Reef enthusiast
For the first time in over 8-10 months, my tank has not had any health issues. I have not added any new fish for that duration. Only thing i have added was some mushrooms (yea i go very slow). Today i notice black spots on Troy (my yellow tang). He is acting normal, no color loss and no appetite loss.

I dont know if i should leave him alone or quarantine him. Thats all i really want to decide on. Whether i should let him be or quarantine...A poll might help me decide.

By catching the tang to move him,you'll cause him more stress.
As long as he's eatting,leave him be.90% of the time,the fish is healthy enough to fight ick off by theirselves.

Well what has got me worried is the fact that he got ich out of the blue. How did this happen? Could the mushrooms have somehow been the reason?

Last edited:
Fish are just like people.Sometimes they get things for what seems like no reason at all.
I highly doubt the new shrooms have anything to do with it.

The ich was probably there all along. When the fish are not stressed, they have the immune system to fight it . When they get stressed, the immune system is weakened and it they don't have as much resistance to the parasite.

Many reliable people here have mentioned mixing the food with garlic to help increase it's immune system and keep it's appetite up. You might want to try it.

If they're black spots, are you sure it's ich? Ich is normally white spots, and there are other diseases that manifest themselves as black spots.

Actually im not 100% its ich - im assuming so because the spots are exactly like ich only black and i remember reading somewhere that yellow tangs get this black ich fairly common...

This came out of a book that I have (Saltwater aquariums by Gregory skomal)

Tang tubellarian Disease,Black spot
casue:Paravortex Flatworms
Symtoms: ALthough Tthe name implies that only tangs are infected, this is not the case. Many species of fish can be infected by this flatworm. In the parasitic phase,these organisms look like numerous dark spots distributed unevenly over the fins,gillsand body of the fish. Other signs include fasting,listleness,pale or whitish skin, and scratching against objects. Secondary bacterial infections can occur as well. These signs are also common to othrer infestations by flatworms.

Treatments: Flatworms are in phylum of their own. Platyhelminthes. As with most parasitic infestations, crowding facilitates their spread to other tankmates. A freswater dip and antibiotic immrersion may be effective.

If your fish do start no eating and acting strage i would qurintine them
salinity 1. 019,temp 78 degrees,copper,and feed them these http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+7927+8126&pcatid=8126 in pellets .

ok update on the fish is that he is still very normal and eating BUT the tiny black spots have increased. So im a little worried because he is acting fine now but dont know if i will wake up one day and see him on his side breathing heavy...so far however, no signs of sick behavior...

My fire shrimp is working over time tho. He cleans the tang on the regular basis so im hoping that between the shrimp and the tang's strength that he will pull thru this one...

Usually,Fish will breeze right through a case of ick with no problems at all.
As long as he's eatting and acting normal,I wouldnt worry.

Back