Yellow Tang in a 55G?

Patzig

welp, that didn't work..
I know this question has been answered numerous times on numerous forums but I'm gonna ask anyway. Will one yellow tang be ok in a 55g (48" long). Alot of people are saying a 75G is much better for tangs, but from what I've seen, most 75G tanks are the same 48" long like my 55G...it's just 6" wider. So is it really that necessary to have the 75g? I only plan on having one, possibly 2 yellow tangs, and then a couple of clowns and gobies. I will also have a 30g sump. Will a full grown yellow tang be ok in a 55g?

When it comes to tangs,the bigger the better.But yeah,a SMALL yellow tang will be alright in a 55 for a while.Thats ONE yellow tang.I wouldnt even try 2 yellows in my 125. And no,a full grown yellow tang wont survive in a 55.

I agree with what these other guys have said. Full grown yellow tangs are BIG. A juvi would be fine in a 55, but I'd put money on two of them fighting to the death. I don't think they'd last a week together.

What are you thinking? I say you just get a buttload of damsels...

Or an octopus
Or a Hammerhead Shark...

Now order my lights!

-Your Roommate

lol nice David. Yeah, thanks for the advice...even though it's not what I wanted to hear. I think I will hold off on Tangs till me and David build our 250G and put it downstairs. (BTW David you're gonna go halfs with me on a 250G we're gonna put downstairs) :0

Last edited:
I know how you feel about tangs. I want one too, but all I have is a 20 gal long and I keep trying to convince myself that maybe one day I can get one. /sad face

lol ya it sucks. best i can tell is maybe get one in my 55g and keep him while he's small. then it'll give me an excuse to upgrade to 125g once he gets bigger lol. na, clowns and gobies will suffice

Yeah there is a lot of underrated fish out there to me, besides all the awesome tangs and triggers. I even have a blue damsel that I wouldn't want to give up. He swims against the current my filter makes and likes to dig holes.

Hell, I upgraded my 45g to a 125g JUST so I could get the tangs....I have yet to get one, though (I had a yellow, but he had parasites)

Hell, I upgraded my 45g to a 125g JUST so I could get the tangs....I have yet to get one, though (I had a yellow, but he had parasites)

Lol I wanted to do the exact same thing. Then I realized how big the tank might be and it intimidates me. Maybe I'll end up getting something smaller than 100 so I can at least get a trigger.

Back